Hot spot remedy

bently

I searched for this topic and couldn't find it anywhere so hopefully this issue hasn't been beat to death. My springer has developed a second hot spot on his tail. I am a new bird dog owner so I took him to the vet the first time. They shaved and cleaned the area, sprayed it, gave him a steroid shot, and charged $100. After a little issue with another dog at the local dog park, he has a cut on his tail and i want to act fast. Is there a homemade remedy anyone has had luck with?

Hi,

Is this a cut or a hot spot?

Either way I would try some EMT Gel on it, just be sure to clean it first with Hydrogen peroxide or something similar. If you can't find any locally then Google it, there are many places that sell it online. Besides it's a great thing to have along on any hunting trip as well. Not intended for deeper cuts but works great on small cuts and or skin irritations, hot spots etc...

Last edited:
It's a cut. I did clean it out with hydrogen peroxide then used some spray i got from the vet the first time to dry it out. I plan on getting a first aid kit and will make sure it has some EMT gel. Thanks for the feedback.

Back