Hot Beef Commercial

gps4

Any of y’all familiar with “hot beef commercial”?

I read an article a while back about it being a staple along the I90 corridor between MN and Rapid City.

I don’t recall seeing it on any menus in the places I’ve stopped to eat, and not exactly sure where to find it,
But I’d like to give it a try sometime.

Any of y’all familiar with “hot beef commercial”?

I read an article a while back about it being a staple along the I90 corridor between MN and Rapid City.

I don’t recall seeing it on any menus in the places I’ve stopped to eat, and not exactly sure where to find it,
But I’d like to give it a try sometime.
It's a midwestern thing. You will find them generally in smaller family owned resturants. Bump's cafe on Hwy 212 in Glencoe, MN has one of the best.

They're tough to beat. Stop at the corner bar in elysian, mmm mmm mmm. Salt and pepper on top of everything. I wouldn't call it a sandwich, try eating it with your hands, you'd need a baby bib and some gloves.

I grew up on it. The last time I had it was in Aberdeen last year at a local place. It wasn't very good. Calling it bland would be kind.

Dad always referred to them as "commercials", but that was from the old timey days. These days mom & pop's everywhere list them as Hot Beef and/or Hot Pork, on menus.

Gravy over the beef, the bread (must be white bread if done the traditional way), and mashed potatoes. It is often one of the best priced items on a small town cafe menu. Boil carrots (with gravy) on occasion varies by location.

1726021152538.png
1726021375352.png

Last edited:
I googled roast beef commercial and most of the links said shredded beef - not so sure ... Maybe MN but don't remember that name commercial or shredded beef style in NoDak. Only hunted north half of SD and would say my photo was most common type.

Interesting story:

Bumps:
1726022000913.png

In discussing this issue of the Hot Beef Commercial with some friends and also some internet searching it appears the term "Hot Beef Commercial" is a Minnesota thing. In the Dakotas it appears to go by the name "Hot Beef Combo or Hot Beef Combination". I was in the Millstone Resturant in Milbank, SD yesterday on the menu it was a Hot Beef Combo. Whatever the name they are basically all the same and can be some mighty fine comfort food if prepared properly.

Last edited:
Grew up in Central Iowa-Hot Beef/Hot beef sandwich…..It’s all bout the gravy, good gravy makes most things edible

We call them open-faced roast beef sandwiches and the beef is sliced . If I ordered one and the meat came out chunked I think I’d be cussing it. Chunks belong on noodles. Do they put poutine gravy on it too.😂

Last edited:
My Mom used to call it “shit on a shingle”!
Not the same thing. SOS is chipped beef, or another meat, in a cream sauce poured over toast.

Back