Horrible Day

Marshstalker

Wisconsin releases extra birds for the holidays.
Dutch and I showed up early today and she immediately ran twords the woods and chased a deer for at least 10 minutes. Wouldn't respond to tone, vibes or stim until I hit 9. After a couple hours we went back to the vehicle to get water because I forgot it. While at the vehicle I heard a flush, a shot and we were being rained on by pellets. After being hit and pellets going in the woods Dutch bolted again into the woods. I had a few choice words for the guy that was 75 yards or so away, after I got Dutch back, he holds up a bird and walks away. Then I step in dog crap that someones dog left next to my Jeep. 5 hours and didn't find anything but feathers.
Glad there's Jim Beam, cause my legs are killing me and I'm still mad about being rained on

Last edited:
Hey, it had to have been better than sitting at home, watching home remodeling/flipping shows. You and the dog got a bit of exercise and some fresh air, it could have been much worse.

A couple years back.
A buddy and I were hunting geese in a cut bean field that was public, anyway when we got done we met an old guy that was pheasant hunting. He was telling us how much he hated his dog and wanted to shoot her but his wife would kill him. At that moment she bolted into the field and refused recall and we watched four pheasant flush, then she can back smiling.
I literally thought he was gonna kill her, she knew where they were but didn't want him to have them. I hope my dog never looks at me like that.

75yds you aren't getting rained on unless the guy was shooting dang near straight up. #5 lead pellets drop about 7" at 75yds

Also better than sitting home on a foggy/rainy/dreary day TRYING to look busy so the wife doesn't add to the holiday list. Managed to make an 8 item shopping list take 3 hours...and the store is 3/4 mile away. Time to start wearing my couch camo and blending in for the winter!!

75yds you aren't getting rained on unless the guy was shooting dang near straight up. #5 lead pellets drop about 7" at 75yds
They hit us and went in the trees on the other side of my Jeep, then then Dutch ran to the sound and I had to recall her, same place she chased a deer, then I yelled at the asshole as he was walking in the opposite direction.
It was in my OP, probably didn't explain it correctly.

Last edited:
They hit us and went in the trees on the other side of my Jeep, then then Dutch ran to the sound and I had to recall her, same place she chased a deer, then I yelled at the asshole as he was walking in the opposite direction.
It was in my OP, probably didn't explain it correctly.
What I mean is if he hit you from 75yds away then he didnt rain on you, he SHOT YOU. I bet it hurt too. If he actually did rain on you, he had to have dang near shot over his own head straight up in which the pellets were just falling with gravity force.

Or he was a lot farther than 75yds away.

I remember last month guys on here were arguing with me about gun training pups saying you always want your dog getting super excited and chasing shots even if you didnt shoot. This right here is why you dont want that if you hunt public land... You end up with an uncontrollable dog that takes off when another group shoots... Youre lucky your dog didnt chase his shots towards him and end up in a fight with his dog. Because if someone elses dog came chasing at me when i shot and got into a tangle, he would be getting the sht kicked out of him and the owner getting a mouthful. (Granted i probably wouldn't shoot within 75yds of the parking lot unless i was the only truck).

If a #5 hit you in the face at 75 yards it would go in until it hit bone. Probably even #6.

As a kid duck hunting I got rained on by lead 2's, 3's and 4's dozens of times. No biggie. But we made sure we didn't directly shoot another guy. World of difference.

Back