Home Defense

Status
Not open for further replies.

pheasantaddict

What shotgun do you recommend for home protection? What load? The Benelli M4 looks pretty sweet and used by the marines, but probably out of price range right now. Thanks.

What shotgun do you recommend for home protection?
The one you probably already own. Even a single shot will get your point across but an autoloader or pump obviously gives more protection. Take the plug out since you can use the extra capacity. Most open choke since you'll be shooting at things only feet away and not yards.

What load?
Think about it a little. Slugs and buckshot will go through sheet rock like butter and can result in injuring family, friends and animals. I've got loads of rubber buckshot that won't after a few feet but will probably bounce around like angry bees and may come back on you. They should make everybody at the scene mad at everybody else. If they are close enough they will go into flesh. At close quarters #9 low base with a skeet choke makes sense to me. Better than a vacuum for cleaning out a hallway.
On the whole I think having a loaded shotgun in the house isn't a good idea and I don't keep one loaded. If you live in a high crime area or have been held up then it's a different situation.

Something with a short barrel, unchoked, and loaded with BBs or buckshot. But your field gun, which you are accustomed to handling, would be dandy too.

It has been my experince that closing the action on my auto loader is enough to defuse most problems.:D

It has been my experince that closing the action on my auto loader is enough to defuse most problems.:D

Good point although the single note of an autoloader can be confused by the uninitiated. The double note of an 870 pump is something that is ingrained in all movie goers memories. You can record the sound of somebodies pump gun on a small tape recorder and then just play it without opening any doors.:cheers:

Good point although the single note of an autoloader can be confused by the uninitiated. The double note of an 870 pump is something that is ingrained in all movie goers memories. You can record the sound of somebodies pump gun on a small tape recorder and then just play it without opening any doors.:cheers:

I am going to keep the element of surprise on my side, so no warning noise is going to be made. My wife and I have a 20ga moss 500 with ic slug barrel in our bedroom. It is loaded with pheasant 6s and is ready to go with removal of the safety. It should clear the hallway to our bedrooms very efficiently if an intruder attempts it. Someone breaks into my home to hurt my family and I'm not going to give them any warnings "to prepare themselves". I travel a lot and have no doubt my wife could perform the task if the need arises.

I am going to keep the element of surprise on my side, so no warning noise is going to be made. My wife and I have a 20ga moss 500 with ic slug barrel in our bedroom. It is loaded with pheasant 6s and is ready to go with removal of the safety. It should clear the hallway to our bedrooms very efficiently if an intruder attempts it. Someone breaks into my home to hurt my family and I'm not going to give them any warnings "to prepare themselves". I travel a lot and have no doubt my wife could perform the task if the need arises.

You miss the point entirely. 6s are not going to get the job done. the last thing you want is to shot some one and have them get out of your house. then you are in big trouble. if you have to shoot it had better be to kill.

Last edited:
There are probably hundreds of forums and thousands of posts on them, more properly suited to this discussion. I'm going to close it before we get too far off point.

Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back