Hi all from Iowa

Uplandave

Just wanted to say hi and introduce myself. Name is Dave and am from eastern Iowa. Found this site awhile back and have been lurking since so thought it was time to join. A little background first. I am 53 so I have seen a lot of the ups and downs of the pheasant population in IA. As a kid my dad, brother, family friend and I did tons of hunting and there were plenty of birds. After 6 years in California I moved back and had very little time to hunt except for deer. Then started my own business and family and it seemed like there was no time to get out much, even for deer. Well now we are soon to be empty-nesters and work is to the point where I can get away more to do the things I like doing. While pheasant hunting is my first love I have a brother who lives in the Twin Cities who has been bugging me to come up and try grouse hunting. My next purchase is going to be a bird dog. While I'd love to have a pointer I am more than likely going to get a flushing dog. Still wavering back and forth on whether it will be a springer or a cocker. The latter seems to be the front runner as my wife feels that in the near future we will downsize our living arrangements and move into a condo or one of our rental duplexes. Sorry if I rambled on and hope to maybe see some of you in the field. Take care, Dave

Welcome Dave!

Nice to have you coming back to pheasants and those wood-rocket grouse thingies.

Hope someone with more experience can respond to you on the springer vs cocker question. I think FCSpringer was training a cocker pup, and IS a field champion springer trainer/owner. He could give you insights.

My take? is a springer settles down in the house, while the cocker is sort of a bouncing smile, looking for the next bit of action. But talk to one of the smart, experienced guys.

Have fun on the forum and post bunches of pictures.

:thumbsup:

Thanks Kismet, I have noticed that the cockers seem to be more hyper than the ESS but my wife is kind of adamant that it be a smaller dog. Am going up to a cocker trial in Mn this spring so hope to see first hand and talk to a few owners. Thanks again for the welcome. Dave

Thanks Kismet, I have noticed that the cockers seem to be more hyper than the ESS but my wife is kind of adamant that it be a smaller dog. Am going up to a cocker trial in Mn this spring so hope to see first hand and talk to a few owners. Thanks again for the welcome. Dave

its tough, the wives always have a say....:(

Back