Hey, all

ccavacini

New here from Indiana. Looks like we're going to try Kansas this year. Like the idea of both pheasant and quail.

We're high school teachers, so we're limited to coming out over our Christmas vacation.

Looks like we'll settle in the Pratt area (got some good information on drought-hail storms, pheasan/quail numbers, etc)

Have gone to Iowa and had one experience with So. Dakota (I don't need to see 1000's of birds) I refuse to take passing shots on birds...I'm more interested in shooting over my dogs.

There will be only two of us, so we won't cover too much ground, but looking forward to December.

Cary

By the way, I have two female Brittanys...Megs 9 and Kate 2

Last edited:
New here from Indiana. Looks like we're going to try Kansas this year. Like the idea of both pheasant and quail.

We're high school teachers, so we're limited to coming out over our Christmas vacation.

Looks like we'll settle in the Pratt area (got some good information on drought-hail storms, pheasan/quail numbers, etc)

Have gone to Iowa and had one experience with So. Dakota (I don't need to see 1000's of birds) I refuse to take passing shots on birds...I'm more interested in shooting over my dogs.

There will be only two of us, so we won't cover too much ground, but looking forward to December.

Cary

Best of luck to you on your KS trip! I think your choice of location is a wise one. I know there have traditionally been good opportunities for harvesting a mixed bag in that area. I too prefer the combination hunt to seeing loads of roosters in a day. I like watching the dogs hunt quail and running across the occasional rooster for that adrenaline rush.

The KDWP should be posting their upland forecast soon. It will be interesting to see their projections this year. One thing is for sure, some areas aren't going to be so great. I too am excited because I'm hunting a part of the state I've never hunted before, regardless of KDWP's forecast. I heard enough from local farmers that I don't want to hunt Pawnee or Edwards counties on the opener this year. Introduce someone new to the tradition when you come.

Welcome to KS

Welcome to Kansas and here's wishing you good hunting in December.

Back