Hettinger county

I have the opportunity to hunt some private land in Hettinger county (for free if you can believe that). I've heard NDGF report and it doesn't sound great. I'm wondering if I should save the $ and just stay in KS this season. I don't expect specific information on this public forum, but I would appreciate any first hand reports. Please send me a private message if you do not feel comfortable posting here. I am also interested in Huns/grouse if there are some good opportunities for those species this year.

Thanks,

Chad

I am going this weekend. BUT a friend of mine went up, called me (McIntosh Cty) said it was tough, all crops in fields due to rain. Said we might have a tough time this weekend to wet yet. O well.... is this not called hunting???? He said he would have limited out but a guy he was with missed 6 birds.
I am going with my dogs on Friday the 17th and returning around the 25th depending on how much FUN I will have!

North Dakota hunt

Sounds like you have a great opportunity to hunt North Dakota. The out look for North Dakota does not look to good, but a hunting trip with friends is still a lot of fun and all ways worth while. I live in Wisconsin and the DNR in Wisconsin has our state so screwed up for hunting that I don't even bother to go pheasant hunting here. I will be out to North Dakota on the 25th and always look forward to the hunt. Birds or not, walking the big fields and working the dogs is always great! Post again and let us know how you did.

I'm Back!!!

Just to let you all know it was fun by all!
A lot of crops were still out. So it was tough. There are a lot of very young roosters.... only one day I didn't get my limit. Took 12 home and my brother-in-law and his son took home 14 total. One day of really bad weather. Very muddy you need a four wheel drive on the mim. maintenance roads. The dogs started out...well the young one started a little rough then really got into it. Both dogs worked very very well. They still have a hard time with dead birds. Interested more in pointing new birds. That's all, should post some pics soon!

Just returned

Just returned from Ellendale, ND. Hunting was hard, but succesful! We all had plenty of shooting. My 10 year old Griffon did a great job working across all five hunters and pointing rock solid. My three old male Griffon made every retrive and found every downed bird, even came back with a wounded bird that was shot early in the day by someone else. Had our best days hunting on private land after asking for permission. Farmers where all nice and was only rejected one time on hunting. (Had another group that he already gave permission to). Over all one of our better years. Took home only 25 birds between 5 guys, but had plenty of opportunities. Good luck to all, and always trust your dog.

Just joined so I don't know if your still interested in what the Mott conditions are but when I was out there November 17-22nd the snow was hard crusted in many areas that were drifted from the blizzard earlier in the month. Much of it melted except the drifted areas. I suspect the conditions may have changed some since then especially if they have received any additional snow.

Birds Galore, but they are wilder than ever this year and you will need stealth technology to get up on them as they are spending nice days in the middle of harvested fields scratching through frozen remnants of that early November storm. Shelter belts or deep ravines on windy days. CRP early am or late in the day.

To be honest with ya, dog work was not the best this year as the birds seemed to just concentrate beyond belief after that blizzard making approaching them very difficult and dog work almost useless in many cases.

Ha! Thanks. You're exactly right. We were there at the same time. Poor time to work the dogs, birds too jumpy to work the dogs......lot of birds flying everywhere far, far away.

Back