Here's to a good year!

Hubsker

Too busy to post last year and in pretty much the same position this year. Much of that is work related but funny how I am busier with both girls off at school and it being just me and the wife. :)

Made it to Kansas last year and got 10 birds in 6 days. Didn't limit out the entire time so it was a long but extremely fun week.

Finally going to make it to South Dakota this year and I find myself with mixed emotions.. I am looking forward to "seeing more birds" but not the cost of the motel rooms and apparent difficulties of finding "free" hunting ground. Less than two weeks before we leave and we haven't finalized anything. :( I am sure when we get there that I will say to myself many times, "Were not in in Kansas anymore!"

So, just another note of thanks to you guys that post on here for being friendly and informative (every post keeps me tied into the pheasants and gets me through the year); and to Kansas land owners who open up their land through the WIHA program and through knocks on doors; and to all the people we meet during our hunts that make us feel welcome.

Good luck to all. See you next year and God Bless

Hear, hear! :cheers:

This might be wishful thinking, but according to the weather guys at both AccuWeather and WeatherBell, a weak to moderate El Nino should develop by mid winter and spring of 2013.

That El Nino should put W. Kansas, W. Oklahoma and W. Texas (including the panhandle-pheasant country) back into the S. W. moisture flow from S. California and from the south pacific, by spring 2013.

This moisture flow should green up and keep healthy both the dry land and irrigated winter wheat and provide nutrients and abundant spring nesting cover for the hens. And hopefully a good hatch in 2013 before the wheat is cut.

The El Nino should green up the vegetation along the roads as well as the CRP which provides additional or backup nesting cover.

Even with our dwindling bird pops and lack of water for duck hunting I'm still excited for the hunting seasons to open. One new pointer and another on the way, my little female lab is just awesome and has come into her own after a great goose season last year.

Lots of new land to hunt this year as well.

Going to be a great year!

:cheers: Cheers to all of us!

We've decided against SD and are heading back to Ks. the week of Thanksgiving. We are comfortable there and know the layout and can find birds. If the numbers are down....so be it. I know we will have a great time and can't wait to see the dogs go!

:cheers: Cheers to all of us!

We've decided against SD and are heading back to Ks. the week of Thanksgiving. We are comfortable there and know the layout and can find birds. If the numbers are down....so be it. I know we will have a great time and can't wait to see the dogs go!

That's exactly what I have decided to do as well, I'm convinced it will be tough but every bird will be an incredible trophy!

and I love those Kansas steaks!

Good luck everyone here's to a great season :cheers:

how many dogs you taken. my my count you have you still have 11 at your house:D

I'm taking 4. Ranger, Ruby, Sweets, Molly. Briscoe, Sadie and Elvis get to stay at home. Thought about taking a couple of pups with me. The big dogs will be in the trailer and the little ones in the dog box in the back of the truck.Too young to hunt, but I could get them out running in between hunts. It would be an adventure for them.

I'm down to 7 pups. A lucky guy on here will get my pick of the litter a week from this Sunday. Hoping to move 3-4 more of them before I leave for Ks.

Need a couple more guys on here to step up and get themselves one of these fine pointers.

Back