Here we go again...

matto

I know we're not hunting for wheat, but it's shaping up like a tough nesting season.

Saw a TikTok video yesterday of a farmer out by Rush Center. Had a center pivot with the corners planted to wheat. The only wheat that was up was right at the edge of the corn stubble where the center pivot had some overspray when he was still irrigating his corn late last summer. The rest of the corner was still bare dirt.

I know we're not hunting for wheat, but it's shaping up like a tough nesting season.

Guys I feel your pain… I’ve never seen my hunting range look so bad. There is not a blade of wheat alive that’s not under a sprinkler. I’m booking 2 destination trips this year for South Dakota and Arizona knowing that even if the rain starts🙏 it will be a recovery year at best. Come on El Niño!

I'm planning SD again myself. If my hunting buddies will go, I might make a second trip up there. They're good for one trip usually, but the second trip is a stretch. In the past I have been reluctant to hunt other states when the Kansas season was open. That mental barrier is fading.

3 weeks ago I was out at our stuff. The wheat that followed fallow look decent to my untrained eyes. The wheat that was continuous looked awful.

Saw a TikTok video yesterday of a farmer out by Rush Center. Had a center pivot with the corners planted to wheat. The only wheat that was up was right at the edge of the corn stubble where the center pivot had some overspray when he was still irrigating his corn late last summer. The rest of the corner was still bare dirt.
I live in Rush County, its terrible. Maybe somehow this will all work in our favor and landowners will start putting ground back in CRP. That is the only thing that will save upland birds in the western half of the state.

I live in Rush County, its terrible. Maybe somehow this will all work in our favor and landowners will start putting ground back in CRP. That is the only thing that will save upland birds in the western half of the state.
One would hope… especially marginal ground that can’t be managed in these conditions. I’ll never tell a person what to do with private property and it’s well known crp can’t compete with a year where crops are made monetarily, but it seems life would be less stressful right now with a stand of grass on a slicked off bone dry piece of land. Heard on a podcast one time a birds best friend is a rancher/farmer with a bird dog!

Back