Here we come

fsentkilr

I am finally getting a chance to make my second trip of the year. A friend and I have the truck loaded and are leaving for a week in Dodge to shoot some roosters. It looks like the weather will be a little warmer than I would like, but at least it won't be below 0.

I just got home from hunting. The roads were in good shape until the snow yesterday, then they got bad once the snow started flying. We did really well killing a lot more birds then I expected to. The snow really made it good hunting with the birds holding really well for the dogs Saturday. From what I saw there is definitely more pheasant than last year. There are plenty of hens so if we get good nesting weather w/o getting a killing blizzard this winter, next year could be really good. 90 percent of so of the birds we shot were young birds, with some of them being really young. I shot one that still had lot's of pin feathers and wasn't fully colored. We will definitely be going into the spring with good subsoil moisture for grass and weed growth that's for sure. We shot birds in Finney, Ford, Hodgeman, Lane and Ness counties. I have some sore feet and some wore out dogs that's for sure. I am going to Hawaii with the wife until Jan 27, then plan on going back the last 3 days of season. We also saw lot's of quail and several big bunches of lessers.

I have been out 4 times and haven't shot an older bird yet.. Last week ran across 2 groups of 4 and a groups of about 15 chickens on some walkin, surprised me. That snow yesterday was something. Sounds like you had a good time.

Back