Here is one thing I've really struggled with

Bob Peters

I know, goose told me, "don't leave the old dog behind, it crushes them." I agree, but there comes a time where there is management of the dogs that has to be done. Skye is 8.5 and Roxy is 2.5. I ain't retired so usually hunt weekends, although I try and take all my vacation days during pheasant season. Sometimes I worry about Skye, there was twice last year she seemed to have a sore shoulder joint. Glucosamine was bought, and hopefully that helps. On multi-day trips with both dogs, I plan to rotate every other field. I'm sure the dogs won't like this for a minute, but will soon take a nap while the other hunts and vice versa. As I often hunt longer hours than most, I think it will help the dogs and me. Hunt, nap hunt, nap. As always I'm trying to find better places to park the truck, which should help shorten the length of hunting. And don't worry about when I take Roxy on a trip alone. Last time I did that I got a pic of Skye eating macaroni from a spoon. These dogs are treated very well regardless :). Anyhow, I'm not perfect and make mistakes, but I know when thinking about the dogs all I want is both girls to get plenty of action and time afield chasing birds. I'd feel a little embarrassed if I admitted how much time I spent thinking about them and hunting wild roosters with two good dogs. Pictured Skye first and then Roxy. Two sister who love each other very much, but are competitive when tackling a pheasant field.

IMG_34781.jpgRoxygirl.JPG

I agree with Goose, it crushes them. My buddy and I have both had old dogs die while we were on a trip. No one will ever convince me that it was coincident. They died of a broken heart. I will do everything I can to take them. I park and go through the routine, put them down and take a little pretend hunt. Then back to the truck swap dogs and go. It's a bit of a pain but means the world to them. Ther will come a time when they are to fragile to make the trip. I'll cross that bridge when I get there.

Not to get too far off topic, but I think there is something to this dying of a broken heart. Outside of hunting my old lab LOVED going in the RV to the lake. He rode on the dash (I know, unsafe if there was an accident) and that was "his" spot. As he got older, he spent most days inside the RV soaking up the AC instead of begging a kid to throw something in the water to retrieve when on the beach. His last trip was Memorial Day 2023.

It was my new lab pup's first ever RV trip. She loaded up first and jumped up on the dash (never been in the RV before). When Duke came out of the house and saw the RV he was so excited and bouncing around just at the site of the RV in the driveway. I had to hoist him up because he the steps were challenging for his old body. The look in his eyes when he saw her sitting in "his" spot is something I will never forget.
I feel like I made the mistake of having him ride on the couch instead of moving her off of his spot. When we got to the lake about 2 hours away, he couldn't/wouldn't move from the couch. He was dying. He never walked again. I had to leave the lake the next morning after a sleepless night to meet an on-call veterinarian that I had never been to that was over an hour away and had to put down. It was the worst day I have ever had in regards to a pet owner. I still haven't fully recovered.

Not to get too far off topic, but I think there is something to this dying of a broken heart. Outside of hunting my old lab LOVED going in the RV to the lake. He rode on the dash (I know, unsafe if there was an accident) and that was "his" spot. As he got older, he spent most days inside the RV soaking up the AC instead of begging a kid to throw something in the water to retrieve when on the beach. His last trip was Memorial Day 2023.

It was my new lab pup's first ever RV trip. She loaded up first and jumped up on the dash (never been in the RV before). When Duke came out of the house and saw the RV he was so excited and bouncing around just at the site of the RV in the driveway. I had to hoist him up because he the steps were challenging for his old body. The look in his eyes when he saw her sitting in "his" spot is something I will never forget.
I feel like I made the mistake of having him ride on the couch instead of moving her off of his spot. When we got to the lake about 2 hours away, he couldn't/wouldn't move from the couch. He was dying. He never walked again. I had to leave the lake the next morning after a sleepless night to meet an on-call veterinarian that I had never been to that was over an hour away and had to put down. It was the worst day I have ever had in regards to a pet owner. I still haven't fully recovered.
Losing a best friend is devastating. I've been through it 4 times.

My oldest is 13. She still has some hunt in her but can barely hear. I can signal her with hand signals but that's no help when she is out of sight. This is particularly worrisome Grouse hunting. My 4 Yo is out for the season so I am considering taking her on a serious trip but taking it super easy. I'll at least take her on a token hunt or two close to home but my wife is very worried she will get lost or hurt. I walk her off leash every day so I know she can hack it for a little bit.

My oldest is 13. She still has some hunt in her but can barely hear. I can signal her with hand signals but that's no help when she is out of sight. This is particularly worrisome Grouse hunting. My 4 Yo is out for the season so I am considering taking her on a serious trip but taking it super easy. I'll at least take her on a token hunt or two close to home but my wife is very worried she will get lost or hurt. I walk her off leash every day so I know she can hack it for a little bit.
My 11 year old can still hunt light duty.

Back