Hen! Hen! Rooster!

I mainly pursue prairie grouse. In certain light conditions it is tough to identify a chicken and a hen pheasant. When I am hunting with my hunting partner we will yell chicken if one flushes and either one of us shows hesitation. I find noise doesn’t bother chickens as it does pheasants. While hunting pheasants we are completely silent. If a rooster gets away due to lack of identification it’s his lucky day.

The last thing you want is the inexperienced ones calling out the sex, they will do well just to get to shooting at roosters. Pretty irresponsible to call-out when you are not sure.

Lane violations drive me nuts. The bird gets up in front of me and a hunter (buddy) way down the line shoots it or shoots at it. Just sayin

Lane violations drive me nuts. The bird gets up in front of me and a hunter (buddy) way down the line shoots it or shoots at it. Just sayin
Oh ya, "hold the line!", I seldom hunt like with more than one other person. If you are in a group like that, a guy down the line might have an opportuntiy earlier as the bird will get out to shooting range sooner for him, he is just helping you out. Now that I have learned that party pheasant hunting is not legal in Iowa, my shooting will decline and I will be helping others get limits more often. Will still be calling them out!

Last edited:
Ive hunted with a group of guys, 8-10 in a line and as the birds flying in front of us they are all yelling hen, hen, hen then when it gets in front of you, you see that it’s a rooster. They kept doing it all day! It almost like someone told them opposite. Lol. Wouldn’t shoot either, always said they were to far out. Out of staters, drove along ways to hunt and not shoot. I get a lot of birds when I hunt with them😜

Last January late in the season, I happened by a group of 18 lined up hunting a CRP field, so I stopped on the road to watch a couple minutes. Before long, one rooster with a death wish flushed near one end of the line & did his best John Dunbar impersonation, flying the entire length of the line. I really don't know whether he was at 30 yds or 60 yds, but there were probably 30 shots fired at him. And he flew away. I was extremely happy for him & elated to have witnessed the worst shooting exhibition I'll likely ever see. I only wish I'd thought to get video. Next time.

Last January late in the season, I happened by a group of 18 lined up hunting a CRP field, so I stopped on the road to watch a couple minutes. Before long, one rooster with a death wish flushed near one end of the line & did his best John Dunbar impersonation, flying the entire length of the line. I really don't know whether he was at 30 yds or 60 yds, but there were probably 30 shots fired at him. And he flew away. I was extremely happy for him & elated to have witnessed the worst shooting exhibition I'll likely ever see. I only wish I'd thought to get video. Next time.

John Dunbar……now that’s funny stuff, love that movie!

While watching The Flush over the weekend, I noticed that the guys were absolutely screaming ROOSTER ! ! There were about 5 guys hunting. Every bird in the Gettysburg area was on high alert Im sure.
I have no interest in hunting like that, none.

The amount of hunters some of you go out with amazes me. I've never hunted in a group bigger than 3 and 90% of the time I'm solo mission.

The amount of hunters some of you go out with amazes me. I've never hunted in a group bigger than 3 and 90% of the time I'm solo mission.
Same here. It's a little uncommon for me to hunt with ONE other person, and that's usually one of my daughters. Once in a blue moon, both daughters will go along, but invariably at least 1 of them isn't interested in carrying her shotgun that day. They're mostly out there to be with Ace (& me hopefully??). I can't remember the last time I was in a group larger than 3, with one exception. My last springer Buzz died unexpectedly in December 2018, just as our favorite part of the season was beginning. Some friends had been asking for several years if I wanted to hunt with them the last weekend of the season on their annual private land mop-up mission. Since I was suddenly dogless, that year I took them up on it. 8 of us & 2 dogs shot 16 roosters in about 4-5 hours Saturday. It was better than not hunting, but I took the last Sunday of the season off. I just wasn't feelin' it.

Almost 30 years ago when I first started hunting SD, there were usually 4-7 of us make the trip, usually 3 of us had dogs. I had a nice 8 hole dog trailer with a good amount of storage and 5 guys could then fit into crew cab pickup. Lately, the November trip there maybe 2 or 3 of us, but my December and January trips have been solo the last 7 or 8 years. I'm now down to just 3 Britts still hunting and when solo there is no pressure to get a party limit. I enjoy the hunting anytime, but solo is much more rewarding.
Solo I never hear a call of "rooster" or "hen."
December and January can't get here quick enough!
Good luck to you all.

While watching The Flush over the weekend, I noticed that the guys were absolutely screaming ROOSTER ! ! There were about 5 guys hunting. Every bird in the Gettysburg area was on high alert Im sure.
I have no interest in hunting like that, none.
After seeing a few episodes I don't watch the flush anymore. Nothing personal, because upland hunting is probably the hardest to capture on camera, but canned hunts don't do anything for me. Just knowing that everything about each hunt has been meticulously planned out and spoon fed is a turn-off. I've got nothing against researching and scouting, I do that myself all year. I just don't have biologists and private land owners coming out of the woodwork to give me secret spots. On top of it they hotspot areas to the extreme. I'd rather sort through wild bird hunts on youtube, yes there's some stinkers you'll skip past, but there are some real gems too, and people that hunt more the way I do.

After seeing a few episodes I don't watch the flush anymore. Nothing personal, because upland hunting is probably the hardest to capture on camera, but canned hunts don't do anything for me. Just knowing that everything about each hunt has been meticulously planned out and spoon fed is a turn-off. I've got nothing against researching and scouting, I do that myself all year. I just don't have biologists and private land owners coming out of the woodwork to give me secret spots. On top of it they hotspot areas to the extreme. I'd rather sort through wild bird hunts on youtube, yes there's some stinkers you'll skip past, but there are some real gems too, and people that hunt more the way I do.
And to top it all off, they occasionally shoot flare nares on The Flush. As mentioned before, I don't think "The Habitat Organization" dedicated to habitat for producing wild pheasants should have anything to do with hunting anything but wild pheasants.

I enjoy The Flush because its about pheasants, but agree that it doesn't resemble my style and preferences in hunting. But, I think it's likely that we are in the minority here on this page that prefer to hunt alone. The Flush puts a focus on the camaraderie of hunting. This forum is more than enough camaraderie for me!! :)

One other thing that I don't care for are the hunts where they chase elusive Warp Winged Sparolings in some desert, mountain region with a dog breed that I'm not familiar with. Just the pheasants, man. That's all I want.

One other thing that I don't care for are the hunts where they chase elusive Warp Winged Sparolings in some desert, mountain region with a dog breed that I'm not familiar with. Just the pheasants, man. That's all I want.
Right?? Those are about as interesting as videos of pass shooting bluebills, buffleheads, & stuff. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: Kidding. Only kidding. Love me a good bufflehead throwdown. ;)

See for me I like to see those different hunts. Mostly because those are usually actual public land hunts. It seems like 99% of their pheasant hunts are on pay to play places or private land.

Alot of their prairie bird hunts are on public but even if they are on private land I at least know the birds are wild.

Those hunt are very likely where they have been invited to through PF chapters or members. Yah, they aren't going to invite them out if they don't have an abundance of pheasants to show-off. I don't watch hunting vids any more except for the few GS posts here. Slow-mo replays with shot-cam, the actual fields sounds and it is not the herky-jerky videos that make you feel sea-sick after a munute...looking forward to a few! I like to see the habitat he has had his hand in creating also....6 words in a row beginning with "H" in a meanful sentence, weird.

Those hunt are very likely where they have been invited to through PF chapters or members. Yah, they aren't going to invite them out if they don't have an abundance of pheasants to show-off. I don't watch hunting vids any more except for the few GS posts here. Slow-mo replays with shot-cam, the actual fields sounds and it is not the herky-jerky videos that make you feel sea-sick after a munute...looking forward to a few! I like to see the habitat he has had his hand in creating also....6 words in a row beginning with "H" in a meanful sentence, weird.

Who is this GS fellow you speak of? ;) Thanks for watching.

Back