Help with an A-5 serial number.

Lefty76

I was wondering if we had any Browning A-5 experts on the forum? Today I became the temporary owner of my Grandpa's A-5. At least I think it's an A-5...I am no expert! The serial number is 97916. From what little I could find online, it may have been made in 1927. I'm not sure how accurate the information I found was? If it was built in 1927, it is in great shape.

A little more info would help. What gauge is it? Some pictures of the shotgun and of the serial number would help. Sometimes numbers and letters before or above the serial number will determine the year of manufacture.

Here is the serial number. I'm having issues loading other pics, it's telling me they are too large to attach. It is a 12 gauge. I will try to get more pics uploaded.
image-edit-20230319195558.jpg

The stock is smudged from excessive handling today. There is a small crack in the forearm that can be seen in the first pic. Otherwise, the wood is in very good shape.
20230319_194201~2.jpg

That is a beautiful shotgun! I have my own A-5 from 1973 and now my Dad’s from about 1960, both made in Belgium. My Dad’s has the round know too. I think they are really nice guns. Enjoy yours!

Thank you!
Nice looking gun - hope you enjoy shooting/hunting with the A5. For-end cracks are common with this gun as the wood is very thin and gets jolted from recoil. Here's a fix: open the crack a bit and insert a good quality wood glue, then clamp over night. A thin coat of epoxy or fiberglass inside the forend would help strengthen the wood and keep it from cracking. I've had my A5 (1942) since 1960...still works!

Back