help needed from you WY mule deer hunters

m77 man

Never hunted WY before and was wondering if I may have made a mistake going this year. Booked a mule deer hunt in the Kaycee area (hunting West of town) on private land. Have not heard good things coming out of that area about the population size since the booking. Didn't expect it to be big buck central but did expect to see lots of deer. Figured you bird hunters covered enough ground on foot to get the real scoop and not what one might see from the truck window. Curious how this winter will play on the numbers. Looked like every time I check the weather it was snowing pretty good. Given what you guys know of the area what can I reasonably expect to see in terms of numbers and buck quality. Not looking for a trophy for my first but a 140" would really be nice. Second option was Sheridan and wondered how it faired against Kaycee? Really liked the guide out of Kaycee that sold me on that area. Any help/suggestions would be a great help to ease my mind or make me regret it a little more.:)

You'll do just fine in Kaycee. Mule deer pops are down in the state of wyoming. You'll do just fine in Kaycee or Sheridan. I was born in Buffalo, Wyoming right smac in between and there is plenty of quaility mule deer in those areas.

West of kaycee is hole in the wall, Butch Cassid and the Sundance Kid's old stomping grounds. Tuff hunt area full of deer.

Good luck to you, on your hunt.:)

Last edited:
Back