Hello from Colorado

Michael

Greetings!
I hope everyone has a great upcoming season. The conditions are looking promising. I hunt all public wild Birds in Nebraska, Kansas and Colorado. Primarily hunt Pheasant also some Sharpies and Greater Prairie.

I mostly hunt solo with my lab. We do really well. We hunt about 30 days per season. Usually cover 12+ miles per day. I try to hunt 1 day on and 2-4 days off before next hunt.

I look forward to discussing the upland experience on here and hope learn and maybe teach a bit too.

Mike from Mead, CO

Attachments

• 52BF36E3-E31D-4FFB-B061-FE5A74F47388.jpeg
    52BF36E3-E31D-4FFB-B061-FE5A74F47388.jpeg
    896.7 KB · Views: 5
Michael,

Welcome to the site. I am south of you in the cesspool of a city Denver. Good luck this season - maybe we will see each other out in the field.

Any grouse hunts planned this year on the slopes?

Hi Boomerdawg13,
I assume you mean dusky/blue grouse? Not sure yet. I love being in the mountains but haven’t enjoyed “mountain” grouse hunting as much as sharp tails. I either can’t find ‘‘em or they stand on the side of the road waiting to be taken. Just doesn’t seem as sporting as Pheasant.

You?

Welcome to the forum. I love your pup. I too run a Fox Red. Mine is a pointing lab. You have one of the best Pointing Lab trainers in the country near you in Orchard. My boy 'Whisky' is three and just really coming into his own and is making a great upland and waterfowl dog. Best of luck to you this year. Keep posting great pics of the dog work.

Attachments

• Whisky2.jpg
    Whisky2.jpg
    220.1 KB · Views: 3
  • 1st Goose.jpg
    1st Goose.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 2
Mine is also a pointing lab. He will hold point when the birds hold tight. They usually relocate or run. We have gotten good at chasing to flush. But it’s not easy.

Attachments

• 4906878B-6030-4AA1-9D66-40315991DAE1.jpeg
    4906878B-6030-4AA1-9D66-40315991DAE1.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 6
  • 9E8ACBC8-CFDC-4BC3-8CCD-D401026E4A90.jpeg
    9E8ACBC8-CFDC-4BC3-8CCD-D401026E4A90.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 6
Welcome to the forum! Beautiful dog! I hunt the other side of Nebraska, and live and hunt in Iowa, as well.

Mine is also a pointing lab. He will hold point when the birds hold tight. They usually relocate or run. We have gotten good at chasing to flush. But it’s not easy.
If you wanted to improve his pointing, get with Julie. I can give you her contact info offline. She has some incredible training grounds. There is a great pointing retriever club in your area as well I believe. Are you a member of the American Pointing Retriever Association (APLA)?

Great looking pup!

I believe Julie has retired and moved from orchard. She does do a regular PL podcast on Podbean that’s free. And I believe that her book about training pointing labs is still available. Also there’s a Rocky Mountain pointing lab club and I believe that she works with them from time to time.

I believe Julie has retired and moved from orchard. She does do a regular PL podcast on Podbean that’s free. And I believe that her book about training pointing labs is still available. Also there’s a Rocky Mountain pointing lab club and I believe that she works with them from time to time.
Thanks. I knew she was trying to retire but I was not aware of her possible move. I have a signed copy of her second edition book. She is awesome. I think you are correct in her working with the RM Club.

Back