Hello from Central Iowa

uhansen6

New to the forum, long time bird hunter. I live in Des Moines, IA and hunt mostly within a 2 hour radius of here, the majority of my time is spent hunting public lands. I hunt behind a 5 year old GSP, 5 year old golden, and 4 year old yellow lab.

I'm very active in the local and state level PF serving as the treasurer for both.

Took some youth out last weekend for Iowa's youth only season and was very happy with the bird numbers I was seeing given the circumstances and how much corn is still in. I've been doing my scouting and had high hopes for the year even with the flat roadside counts, my perspective is i'm seeing slightly more birds than in years past and Saturday can't come soon enough!

Welcome to the forum.

I'm heading out Friday to Eagle Grove for our annual weekend hunt. My buddy's father in law hasn't chimed in yet with a crop report. I'm a little concerned with the weather we've had, but it's been pretty dry the last week, or so. What's your estimation of how much corn still stands?

I'm originally from Hampton, so not too far from Eagle Grove, used to play them in all sports as we were in the same conference.

As far as crop report, we were up by Jewell on Saturday so not too far away from EG. I would venture to say 75% of the crops were out. Seemed to still be a field or two still in every section. Beans are mostly gone now, if this week would be dry I would say the farmers will have even more out.

We hunted a few spots with standing corn in the distance and still put up quite a few birds for the youth hunters last weekend. Even managed to kick up a covey of 6 Huns north of Jewell, wish the adults would've had guns for those :)

A few years ago we put up a small covey of huns with Eagle Grove in sight a few miles away. Pretty funny, I was yelling "Huns" and shot. My buddies thought I was yelling "Hens" and therefore crazy for shooting at hens.

My buddy's wife is from there, just north of Woolstock and we hunt on her Dad's/brother's farms spread between there and Eagle Grove. Her Dad has done habitat work on every piece of ground he farms and so we are blessed with good ground to hunt.

Coincidentally, my grandfather was born and raised on a farm there. I grew up listening to his stories of life on the farm, attending a 1 room schoolhouse and giving the teacher fits. There are still a few shoestring relatives in the area, descendants of my dad's first cousin. My dad suffers from dementia, is not living in "today", but when I tell him I'm going to Eagle Grove he lights up. Having old family ties adds something to the meaning of the hunt for me.

Back