Heavy snows and birds

I was wondering the same thing, went out east couple of weeks ago scared up a few roosters... and the wind scared my shots, least that is what i told my dogs. Going back to phillips county the 23rd and was just curious if you all if anyone is limiting out with this snow.

I went out North of Yuma on Saturday and shot 6 birds between 3 guys. It was bitter cold but completely calm and cloudless. I was thinking the birds would be bunched up and holding tight but they were super wily and were consistently flushing 100 yards out...walked and ran a lot!! Great day tracking them in the snow though, my favorite!

Recent trip

Well went hunting this last sunday with my father in law. It was a good time. Mostly walk-in areas and suprisingly saw bird at every spot. Lot of long flushes mostly roosters. In all saw a dozen birds shot once and missed. Good time and the my dog lady was awesome. Tracked one rooster about 300 yards. Sweet to see. Well happy birding.

What general area were you in?
I was thinking of going this weekend; but with all this talk of ice and birds dying, I'm thinking of calling it a season.
arkrivco

I live in the yuma area and there isnt any ice here. By weekend the snow is going to be real crunchy. Birds are doing well. I went out Tuesday and had a terrible time getting close. Just stopping ur vehicle on the road they would fly. If you would go out to hunt I think a guy needs to be on them at shooting time in the am to have success. Also need to add the snow is torture to walk through.

EP, I found the quail late in the season......so I stopped messing with those 747.
Got me two new trial dogs. not sure yet if I'm going to break them down to be a foot dog.
until next year, have a good one.

HTS

where were u chasin quail? Anyway I didnt even really hunt the last 1.5 months. I hate deep snow. What are u gonna do with trial dogs?

Can't tell ya where we found quail because if I did, I would have to kill Ya.
I would tell ya where the 747 are but when it comes to quail HTS is a rat hole. I'm running south for them.

Back