Heading to Iowa

birddude

I hunted south central Iowa for 21 years straight until the birds just petered out. Went back last year and saw some birds nut didn't due to good because of the crusty snow. Heading back in Jan. any recent reports out there?

Significantly more pressure this year than I have ever seen before. Weather hasn’t been awfully cooperative either for public hunting. With that being said, if you’re willing to put on the miles, you should be able to find some birds.

Thanks cyclone, Thankfully I've kept in contact with some folks there, so I probably will be mostly on private ground. DNR says better above 80 so i might cruise up there and knock on some doors also.

birddude. How did your hunt go? Where did you in up going in Iowa and did you see any birds?
Thanks Randy

I made the mistake of waiting until the last week of season. The weather went south and didn't go. Same thing happened last year. Wound up going anyway and hunting a week in 4 inches of snow with a heavy crust on top. It didn't go well. I've went with the same guy for 30 years So It's hard to not wait until he can go. He's my best friend but, I broke it too him that I will go with him the last week next year but I'm going on multiple trips beforehand if I have to go alone. It didn't used to be a big deal if I missed a trip because we still had wild quail here, but now Its a major setback if I can't get my dogs in some wild birds!!

That’s a tough deal birddude. I had the same situation this year, my buddy couldn’t go till season end ……so I did a solo trip……then when he could go - (and the wife gave me the go-ahead) we went & and fortunately the weather was fine. I’ve done that crunchy snow hunt before ….impossible
Same thoughts as yours- want to get our lab into birds…..time goes by too fast

Back