Heading out tomorrow

gspbirddog

Going to make my first trip to SD tomorrow. Going to stay in Mitchell for the first couple days an venture out from there. I must say its nice that SDG&F sends out all the info for out there. I'll let you all know how it went when I get back.

When can we expect the report? I'm heading to the Mitchell area next week. Would be very interested in hearing how it went.

Had to cut my trip a little short dog tore a pad. I ended up hunting public spots to the Northwest of Mitchell the first day. I saw a quite a few birds but never got any. They were pretty skiddish and seem to run to the ends and flush out of range. Seen less birds on day two and ended up with one. Hunted between Huron and Miller on day 2. I went east of Huron on day 3 and got into a quite a few birds ended up with 2 for the day. Early on saturday my dog tore his pad so I only hunted one spot that day. All in all it was a good trip saw a quite a few birds and seen a good amount of hens so that was a good sign for next year. I probably could have had limits everyday but I was mainly wanting to get my pup some good experience and only shot birds that were pointed solidly. I had the best luck on spots that had food nearby. I think guys heading out will benefit with snow on the ground birds sure were running. I stayed at the Dakota Inn in Huron for 2 days and at a Super 8 in Mitchell both were good to stay at.

thanks for the report, it helps a lot. sucks that your dog tore a pad. we stayed in sioux falls last night and hunted our way to mitchell. didn't see much on the east side of the state. after checking into our hotel we headed north a bit. ended up with two for the day. and yea, lots of hens. fine by me though, have a 18 month old brittany and she is having a hay day. couldn't be prouder. two more days left and i think we'll head farther north. oh and the cold snap has really helped the birds hold tight.

Back