Heading out to Nebraska

phadlich

I'm heading out to McCook in December. I've been to Kansas and SD but not Nebraska. My dog is older but still can put in a good morning hunt. He's a bit sore the next day. I'm trying to get a feel for the type of terrain I'll be up against so I can plan accordingly. Any insight or tips on terrain or in general.

I'm also planning on brining a camper. Anyone have any experience with the campgrounds in McCook?

Last edited:
I just got back from a trip just east of McCook. We were also visiting but I did some hunting and scouting. I would stay west of McCook for pheasants, but east of there is good for quail but not much for pheasants.

As far as terrain there are CRP fields and crop lands interspersed with small canyons and ravines laced with plum thickets and heavy weed cover. The ravines do hold birds but is some pretty gnarly cover to get through!

I noticed driving through there is a campground with RV spots on the east side of McCook. Not saying that's the only one but I did notice it. We camped with our trailer in a small town east of McCook - the camping was free but we left a donation for our use of it.

Good luck and let us know how you do....

We took 21 Total. The group was there 5 days, I was there 2 1/2 days. We hunted mostly West and North of McCook. The group I was with had been goin there for 20 years and knew the area well. I brought my dog along but he is 8 years old and it was warm so I only hunted him a couple of hours each day. He has never lost a bird and his record is intact. He did a great job finding the downed birds. We saw around 300 total with about 60 flushes. Lots and Lots of hens. The group I was with said it was the most birds they've ever taken so I guess I picked the right year. The 21 hour drive was a bear though. I went mostly for the dog. A last hurrah so to speak. He's getting older and I will probably have to cut him down to part time next year. A sad thing for me but he had a great time and made me proud. He's not used to so much scent in the field so that threw him off a bit but he learned quickly. It was a great time for the dog and me. My thanks to the locals who put up with us out of staters. They were great.

We took 21 Total. The group was there 5 days, I was there 2 1/2 days. We hunted mostly West and North of McCook. The group I was with had been goin there for 20 years and knew the area well. I brought my dog along but he is 8 years old and it was warm so I only hunted him a couple of hours each day. He has never lost a bird and his record is intact. He did a great job finding the downed birds. We saw around 300 total with about 60 flushes. Lots and Lots of hens. The group I was with said it was the most birds they've ever taken so I guess I picked the right year. The 21 hour drive was a bear though. I went mostly for the dog. A last hurrah so to speak. He's getting older and I will probably have to cut him down to part time next year. A sad thing for me but he had a great time and made me proud. He's not used to so much scent in the field so that threw him off a bit but he learned quickly. It was a great time for the dog and me. My thanks to the locals who put up with us out of staters. They were great.

Thanks for the report and sounds like a good hunt! Did you kick up any quail?

Back