Heading for South Dakota

lab man

Picking up my son in Wausau Wi. at 10:30 AM tomorrow and heading to North Central SD for 5 days of hunting. There will not be any sleeping tonight for me. :cheers:

lab man

I just got home from Wausa Wi a couple hours ago.:) Another wedding weekend!!:eek:

Hope you get some sleep before you hit the road. Have a safe trip and good luck;):cheers:

lab man,

Make sure you package your birds for transport the right way......there have been numerous DNR road blocks......Out of state plates and dirty trucks were all they were stopping. Have a safe hunt

I'm with ya........they had them around Watertown, Brookings and Sioux Falls...first 2 weekends mainly on Sunday afternoon and early evening.....they did bust a truck load of pot but they were giving warnings on not having game packaged correctly....I have to admit I'm all for it......too many people WELL over possession limit. Rules are rules...it's not a right.

DNR Roadblocks!? What ever happend to Probable Cause for a traffic stop?
A dirty truck or out of state plate ain't it.

Lock and Load! :D

This is nothing new.I've hit many an SDGFP game check.They typically aren't roadblocks per se but are set up at rest areas etc with notice for vehicles to pull in where they then pick and choose who to look at.Sometimes on two laners they will slow down everyone and do it roadblock style.It was pretty predictable that they would use this tactic a lot this year due to budget considerations.It provides a lot more bang for the buck than to have individual officers trying to cover this huge state.They know the word spreads fast and it keeps overbaggers guessing.
As far as the Constitutional part of it,it really sucks.These guys have more search powers than any other law enforcement type,period.they can search your lunchbox if it's large enough to hold a pheasant breast.I have had one take possession of my rifle,from a closed ATV scabbord,against my will,just to see if I was telling the truth about his question "Is your rifle unloaded?" I told him he had no right to possess my gun any more than I did his.He assurred me that I was wrong.When I checked into it,I found out that I was wrong.
Probable cause no longer exists.You have no expectation of privacy outside your house or perhaps a locked motel room.We have a SD Highway Patrol trooper who makes a living trampling on probable cause.He has busted a vehicle from WA state for a dirty licence plate,found a bunch of pot.He has also busted a vehicle from the same state because the vehicle was filthy but the license plate shiny clean.Result?Found a bunch of pot.

its great to keep over baggers & poachers on there Ps & Qs thats fine but it sucks if you were the guys from WA if they were not poaching what a way to wreck a trip for some guys in a B/S road stop & a trooper & or game & fish officer with nothing better to do A???

any method to there madness??? like you say rest areas ETC. or do they just road block a HWY/interstate??? what a traffic issue if so they would need quit a few guys??? ive seen that happen in KS on there PAY FREEWAYs seen a few drunk guys get wave over from a officer...

I was stopped in Iowa several years back, he turned lights on and pulled us over on county road. I asked why I was pulled over and DNR said he saw a pheasant tail feather sticking up so he thought he should check us. We were legal and had no problems letting him look at our birds and check our guns to see if they were loaded. Turned out to be a very nice man doing his job. :thumbsup:

What difference is it if you get stopped or not stopped-if you are legal? I want them checking and bust the bad guys.

there are guys doing there jobs & there are some guys that just like to bust ur balls had a warden damn near write me up for not knowing the brand of shot shell i was using was REALLY non toxic??? had a box of HEVI METAL pheasant loads & he couldnt tell that they were not lead i guess i asked dont u have a magnet & oh boy he maid it sound like i was making fun of him & should have the proof i was using NON TOXIC i did not have the box left as i only had 5 of them shells left & the rest were clearly STEELE i could see i had 5 of 1 kind of shell & 1 of the other but he really was rude about it B4 i asked for his magnet lol no ticket just a ass chewing & a 45 min of dick n around... & B/S n with him

on the other hand i was younger & had my limit of birds for the day & cleaned the birds & didnt leave a foot attached because i didnt want a bunch of dirty feet touching my meat lol my dad said it was bad idea but u know it all when young i did it anyway i kept all the tails spurs & heads of the rooster pheasants at camp well you guessed it the warden stoped by to see if we had permission to camp wear we did & we did so he asked if we got any birds & when i showed him he looked at me & said do you know why im giving you a ticket today? i said i did & i could of been shooting hens but i could show him all the feet heads & tails of the roosters he said go get em i did & he just warned me not to be so dumb in the future & that NOT ALL WARDENS ARE AS NICE AS HIM after that we seen that warden every year & chat with him we know him by name now & his dog great guy... im not anti warden they keep everybody legal but i have herd the pot thing a few times in these roads stops & that is another story i mean hunting on the stuff bad driving on the stuff really bad but he is a game warden stop n guys for over limits ETC. not doing random drug stop but then again if your dumb enough to get caught then its all on you man just a buzz kill for lack of better words... lol

Back