Headed Home

Out of Kansas and on the road back to Idaho after almost 4 weeks. I have been slowed down a little by high wind and the need to replace the truck water pump. Also the tires on the RV.

Kansas was really good to me. Great country, good numbers of birds, and nice people. Got a lot more birds than last year due to more experience on my part, two dogs instead of one, and more time. A disappointment was that I never really found a huntable number of quail.

Lots of high points, but three I will always remember. First, I stupidly lost my car keys. A local farmer went out of his way to help me, and a stranger, Roger, spent a day hauling me around to get new keys.

Next, my younger dog made not one but two great retrieves--on catatonic possums! She has retrieved a lot of dead and very, very dead items, but the possums were noteworthy. There are no possums where we come from. She did not really seem to like them, but she has an attitude that all dead things should be presented to the management.

The last was at the end of the last day. We had worked hard for the one rooster and one quail we bagged. We were through hunting for the year and walking down the road to the truck 100 yards away. The fence row had almost no cover. I was going to unload, but for some reason left the shells in the gun. Walking at heel my old dog stopped, fussed a little, and pointed. Because of her casual attitude I thought it was a rabbit (which sometimes interest her if she is bored). I kicked the fence next to her, a rooster flew out, and I managed to hit it.

Thanks, Kansas.

Back