Headed for Kansas

cjc5f9

Headed out that way for about 6 days but, just realized that rifle season will be going (doh). I will be chasing some quail and waterfowl on public ground and was wondering if anybody had any opinions on how the deer season will affect such things. Really can't move the dates unfortunately. Thanks for any input.

You will be fine- wear lots of blaze and stay away from WIHA that has a vehicle parked at it- good luck!

Thanks JSMITH, kinda what I was hoping. Didn't know if access would be a problem, have hunted Iowa public during shotgun season and that can get pretty crowded. That is part of the reason I am excited about being out of Iowa during this stretch but, forgot to check on Kansas' firearms season dates til today. Appreciate the response.

There will be quite a bit of activity early in the morning and late in the day . My experience is rifle deer season gets a little crazy. I have seen guys shooting from the road , guys running deer with trucks, and big groups putting on deer drives . Much like what has been mentioned above plenty of orange and move to another spot if someone is there .

Hopefully we can avoid the early crowds by going waterfowling, then work the uplands more midday. Gotta figure there will be some rifle season shenanigans going on, reminds me of my childhood (grew up in MO). Now, off to Amazon to find a blaze orange body suit...

Should be out there tomorrow. Hopefully that's right on the weather, maybe have some good weather to work the dogs on some quail/move a few ducks. Hope your season is going well, I will try to post up some thoughts on the trip.

Got back form ~6 days out in KS. Friend had minor emergency keep him and his duck boat at home so it was just uplanding. 1st day hunted from north MO across to NE KS, 2nd day NE-NC, 3rd worked south down by Osbourne, 4th Rush county area, 5th-6th back to the north looping back to NC area by the time all was said and done. First time in KS so just trying to cover some ground and learn a bit hopefully. Hunted WIHAs targeting quail primarily, ran a couple younger dogs that haven't been on quail much. Weather was pretty warm and I found birds to be spotty. Found a mix between smaller (6-10) and healthy sized covies when I was in them. Seems to me you aren't just going to drop into them everywhere, some areas that initially looked good to me I didn't move so much as a bird, a couple days were pretty discouraging. But, when I narrowed in on a couple variables moved covies pretty regularly. Saw pretty big difference when focusing on different covers/food sources some of which weren't initially obvious to me, which I guess is to say they weren't just hanging everywhere. Have to say, saw a recommendation in some other threads (by BrownDogsCan2 and BritChaser, I believe) for the Buffalo Roam in Mankato and stopped there on my way across Hwy 36 and I agree, great place to stop and fill up (after about 6 days of eating out of the cooler and car camping it was pretty awesome). Be sure to check their hours and they only do buffets on certain nights. Hope everybody is having a good season.

Got back form ~6 days out in KS. Friend had minor emergency keep him and his duck boat at home so it was just uplanding. 1st day hunted from north MO across to NE KS, 2nd day NE-NC, 3rd worked south down by Osbourne, 4th Rush county area, 5th-6th back to the north looping back to NC area by the time all was said and done. First time in KS so just trying to cover some ground and learn a bit hopefully. Hunted WIHAs targeting quail primarily, ran a couple younger dogs that haven't been on quail much. Weather was pretty warm and I found birds to be spotty. Found a mix between smaller (6-10) and healthy sized covies when I was in them. Seems to me you aren't just going to drop into them everywhere, some areas that initially looked good to me I didn't move so much as a bird, a couple days were pretty discouraging. But, when I narrowed in on a couple variables moved covies pretty regularly. Saw pretty big difference when focusing on different covers/food sources some of which weren't initially obvious to me, which I guess is to say they weren't just hanging everywhere. Have to say, saw a recommendation in some other threads (by BrownDogsCan2 and BritChaser, I believe) for the Buffalo Roam in Mankato and stopped there on my way across Hwy 36 and I agree, great place to stop and fill up (after about 6 days of eating out of the cooler and car camping it was pretty awesome). Be sure to check their hours and they only do buffets on certain nights. Hope everybody is having a good season.

Heading to Kansas tomorrow. What cover/food sources produced for you?

Back