Hawk almost got my bumper!

c_d

Took a quick work break to toss a bumper for the dog in the backyard. Just after she delivers the second toss, WHOOOSH, a hawk with a good 3 foot wing span swoops down over head from directly behind me and lands just about where the bumper was, some 20-25 feet away from me. It stands there for a good 3 minutes, takes a super aggressive scratch of the spot on the dirt where the bumper was, looks around some more. then flies away.

I believe it was a Northern Harrier. with a little bit of research these seem to be local to the area in the Oakland Hills. wow. what a cool experience. It's always cool to see hawks, and having my first backyard, it was solid proof I don't live in the city anymore.

The dog was at heel, just twitching to break. eyes steely focused on the bird. I was torn -- toss the bumper and see what happened, or let the dog loose. Either seemed like a bad idea. Hawk could have taken one of Fillmore's favorite bumpers, or fought back and the outcome just didnt' seem good for me if that happened. Just that ground scrape had so much strength and viciousness to it, I could only imagine what it would have done to the pup

might not mean much to most guys, but I've lived in a city for the last 12 years, and we just moved to (what I'd call) suburbs. The dog was raised in an urban environment, even though she hunts, but in the last month she's been overwhelmed by squirrels, racoons, and even a couple turkey in the neighborhood, and now a hawk

That's a pretty neat experience for sure!
I live in an area with a lot of wild life as well. My dog loves being out in the yard stalking the squirrels and pointing the birds. He even sits and watches the deer eating the bird seed about 20 feet away. It's a good time for the dogs when they get a little stimulation from the fellow creatures out there!

Back