Having Trouble Getting Into Birds

KansasHunter25

Hi all, new guy here. Just got back from our annual pheasant hunt. We got 6 guys in total with 2 dogs. We all live in eastern kansas so its about a 4 hour drive to where we usually go.

3 years ago we went to Wakeeny, KS in hopes of limiting out. However, being that it was right after a drought we only saw 2 birds total. And it wasnt late in the season by any means. I think it was around november 29 or so.

Anyway, fast forward to this year, we decided to give western kansas another try since we all heard that the population was back up to decent numbers again. We stayed in Ellis and also hunted a little there. But our main hunt was back in wakeeny again. The whole weekend we saw 3 hens and 1 rooster. I couldnt tell you how many fields we tried on Saturday.

My question is, are we to late in the season to expect a lot of birds? And should we be starting to look for different spots??

Yes you should look for another area if you have hunted that area and not moved to many birds . You are going to work for your birds this time of year . kdwpt reports is pretty accurate .

I have heard of hunters moving 30 to 50 miles and having better luck numbers are up but still have quite a way to go .

Ah I gotcha. We were thinking about going up to SD next year. As far as kansas goes I think were done for the year. But if we do decide to try here again Ill run it passed the guys and see if they want to go up north a bit.

Ah I gotcha. We were thinking about going up to SD next year. As far as kansas goes I think were done for the year. But if we do decide to try here again Ill run it passed the guys and see if they want to go up north a bit.

If you go back I would so south and southwest not north.

I hunt in NW and it's spotty this season. I can appreciate your frustration. I have heard of some good hunts in SW on public land, but have not been there myself.

We hunted NW of Wakeeny the 30,31 and 1. I went home after day 1. 8 guys and 5 dogs. They took 3 pheasants in 3 days. I never raised my gun. Saw more mulies than pheasants. Lots of hunters. Buddy lives north of Russell and says pheasants numbers are still really low.

Back