Has anyone built a dog box?

Jordan54

I am thinking about building a two hole dog box. Has anyone done this and do you have pics? I have been doing some research and have figured that I would use treated plywood for the outside and insulate it for the winters. Haven't decided on venting, doors and, material for the inside(maybe milk house board?)

or scrap the hole idea and get a used one. The problem is I think I could build one for pretty cheap. not sure yet ..any ideas?

Just finished one a couple of weeks ago. The only reason I built one is that I had almost all the materials on hand already. Minus the 2x2's for the frame, the rest I had.

If your buying treated plywood and basically starting from scratch I would be checking out craigslist for used ones. 200 dollars will usually get you a 2 hole dog box.

If you do end up building your own keep in mind as your building it that your probably the only help your going to get lifting it in and out of the truck. Keep it light.

I built a box last year to fit in the back of my truck. I must have gotten rid of the pictures. I would have merely bought a box, but I had some very specific requirements that would have required me to have a box custom built and that was going to get pricey fast.

But, when it comes to looking for components, I cannot recommend this place enough:

http://www.deer-creek.org/parts

They were great to work with and their prices blow everyone else out of the water.

No pics. But, I got some ideas from Setternut on here and a few others. Basically built it to fit between the wheel wells of my truck. Mine is 25 inches high, 48 inches wide and 34 inches deep. Those are outside measurements.

I just bought all my hardware from the local hardware store, latches, hinges etc. Still need to add ventilation.

It's a 2x2 frame and I used screws on everything so that I can replace the walls, floor, roof etc easily when needed. I used some galvanized metal for the edges on the outside and siliconed it to help keep water out. A handle on each side to lift iit in and out of the truck.

Still turned out heavier than I wanted. But, its a nice box and I got the enjoyment of doing something for hunting during the off season!

So I have a chance to get a houndsman for $100..not insulated though. but could easily do that.. Have you guys ever heard of them? are they nice boxes?

Jordan,

See my new thread to look at my dog box. $100 is cheap and maybe even dirt cheap depending on the condition and model.

Wes

Back