Harvest =Zero Birds So far.

Matte

About 4000 total acres of Wheat cut on several tracts in an area that was always a hot spot for pheasants. Zero thats right zero birds bumped so far. I am begining to think the heat was a little to early this year.

What general area o
About 4000 total acres of Wheat cut on several tracts in an area that was always a hot spot for pheasants. Zero thats right zero birds bumped so far. I am begining to think the heat was a little to early this year.
What general area of Ks?

I’m sincerely sorry to hear that. Must be disappointing for a farmer and hunter. Unfortunately Kansas has for far too long relied almost exclusively on weather to save it’s pheasant population, in the face of the fact that Kansas, which has the most extreme weather of any
state in the real heart of the pheasant range, is only getting more extreme and less reliable weather-wise. Nothing to do but hope...or rather, nothing will be done but hope.

Last edited:
I believe Kansas has something similar to Colorado's "corners for conservation". There are quite a few center pivot corners enrolled in their WIHA program in the areas I hunt. The availability of pumped water near good nesting habitat would seem to be very helpful to brood survival.

irrigated fields and the occasional cattail slew will provide insects that the chicks need to survive.

Back