harvest progress in KS

Nearly all of the beans and corn have been cut in Wabaunsee county, but what little milo there is still stands. I would like to know how some of the other parts of the state are doing before the youth opener, particularly for areas in NW KS. Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
NW Kansas Fall Crop Harvest

I heard from someone in Thomas Co. yesterday that there is alot of corn still standing and wet weather is expected. Not sure about the corn and milo east of there where I hunt.

Thanks Britchaser. I have a friend that just traveled to Colorado and he said he saw a lot of corn west of Trego and that some of it was still green. Guess I'll find out this Saturday. If I'm having trouble getting the kids into birds there, I will head south. Good luck Britchaser.

Corn is less than 50% out in SW Kansas. Haven't even touched milo or sunflowers. We received big rains last night. Farmers probably won't get back in the fields untill this weekend.

harvest

Ya here in Cloud County there is pretty much no milo cut and i don't see it being cut for a a couple weeks its been rain and misty for the last couple days and for back home in Russell County they were still planting wheat a week ago they havnt even thought about cutting milo so you can pretty much plan on walkin the uncut milo.

Ya here in Cloud County there is pretty much no milo cut and i don't see it being cut for a a couple weeks its been rain and misty for the last couple days and for back home in Russell County they were still planting wheat a week ago they havnt even thought about cutting milo so you can pretty much plan on walkin the uncut milo.

Thanks to all of you for your reports! Sounds like there will be crops standing all across the state, but it sounds like the numbers should be good enough to get those kids a few shots each. Good luck everyone!

The crops are still standing in much of the central part of the state. Hope for a dry week this week! It will help the crop situation and improve road conditions for this Saturday. IT'S TIME!!!

Last edited:
The crops are still standing in much of the central part of the state. I talked to someone in Cloud county that said some corn and even some milo had come into the Delphos Coop. Hope for a dry week this week! It will help the crop situation and improve road conditions for this Saturday. IT'S TIME!!!
Mid-Central Ks still has some beans, about 99% milo still standing, there were some milo fields that had been cut but it was a hybrid and the moisture content wasn't a concern. When we left on Saturday evening to head back there was about a 25 mph wind out of the south and it was starting to help the roads/fields. The farmer that lets me hunt his ground still has some Winter Wheat to plant. He was hoping to test harvest late this week or mid next week depending on the wind/weather. They had frost for the past 4 days so that will help as well. KsBrit, he did say that I could hunt with the crops being in but I'm not to sure, being a farm boy myself I just don't feel right doing so. Regardless, let''s nail them on the opener wherever we hunt....:thumbsup:

Surprised

I talked to my dad yesterday and the farmer that he helps drive truck for was going to start test cutting milo yesterday around 1pm. I haven't heard yet how it went, but I do know that the fields were extremely muddy this past Saturday when we hunted the youth opener. Overall the milo looked great and is expected to produce very high yields, which is a plus for the birds. Alot of the fields that have milo are no-till and have GREAT knee high undergrowth which is going to produce great post harvest cover for the birds. I'm going to check back in with my dad later today and see how the test cutting went and check on the field conditions. The extended weather forecast shows possibility of rain on the second weekend of the season. KsBrittany, I may make that day run the second weekend regardless of the weather but I'll keep you posted.....:thumbsup:

I talked to my dad yesterday and the farmer that he helps drive truck for was going to start test cutting milo yesterday around 1pm. I haven't heard yet how it went, but I do know that the fields were extremely muddy this past Saturday when we hunted the youth opener. Overall the milo looked great and is expected to produce very high yields, which is a plus for the birds. Alot of the fields that have milo are no-till and have GREAT knee high undergrowth which is going to produce great post harvest cover for the birds. I'm going to check back in with my dad later today and see how the test cutting went and check on the field conditions. The extended weather forecast shows possibility of rain on the second weekend of the season. KsBrittany, I may make that day run the second weekend regardless of the weather but I'll keep you posted.....:thumbsup:

Let's do it!! I'll hunt in any weather! I've had some great hunts in the rain.

:cheers:

Update

Talked to dad again today. The Milo is DRY and ready to be cut, unfortunately the fields are still muddy. They have been cutting full swing for the last 3 days and just last night buried one of the combines for the 1st time. It took a 4wd John Deere pulling from the road to get it out, and it was all the tractor wanted. Hopefully the rain forecasted for next week will hold off and we can hunt fields with the crops out. Good luck to all who make it out....:cheers:

well when you guys slay them all weekend im going to give them a couple of days to chill out and i will be heading out wednesday morning while everybody else is at work.

well when you guys slay them all weekend im going to give them a couple of days to chill out and i will be heading out wednesday morning while everybody else is at work.

That sounds like a good time to go. Not sure what the weather is going to be like for you, but most of the state still has all of the crops in, so success will be in the grass unless you are hunting uncut milo with an army.

My brother from Alaska was going to hunt the opener at Hugoton, so I joined him. It isn't my style, but I hunted with the biggest group ever, 54 hunters. We walked CRP, failed dryland corn, cut dryland corn and when we broke for lunch had only twenty roosters, compared to over a 150 at last years hunt with a few less hunters. We saw very few birds and saw little sign in the areas we hunted. There is still some corn to pick and most of the milo to harvest, so there will be a better day, but still don't think the bird numbers were very good in the areas we hunted.

My party of nine hunted south of Hugoton and had similar luck. we hunted both sat and sun and only harvested 38 birds. we did't see nearly the birds as last year. Lots of crops out yet. I too think hunting will improve once the fields are harvested. I also think when the weather is so mild the birds can be anywhere. We need some weather to bunch the birds up. I did observe a group of 30 plus hunters hunting some standing milo on sun morn it sounded like a war going on. You can assume 1 of 2 things either there were a lot of birds or they were very poor shots.

funny thing a game warden did stop he was driving a car. He was very friendly passed out a couple of orange hats asked how we were doing and went on his way. No license or bird check.

Dogman-

Sounds like one of the office personnel out of Pratt, just doing some PR work, certainly wasn't Benjamin "BJ".

Back