Hard times in the land of plenty....

sig_mech

…..some have it all and the rest ain’t got any. Bonus points to you if you know what artist did this song without Googling it.
Up early this past Wednesday (12/12) and heading out to Y Town again. Stuck in traffic on 225 again, when will I learn?
There’s a good chill in the air and a nice breeze blowing when I pulled up to the first WIA corner and let Duke out of the truck. By the time I grabbed the old scatter gun he’s already hot on a scent. I grab three shells, drop one in the chamber and two in the mag just as a nice little covey of pheasants explodes out of the grass. I pick out a long tail, throw the gun up to my shoulder and start swinging through for a nice lead when the sun comes blasting in my face just as I pull the trigger. “Rookie mistake” I say to myself as I watch a small puff of feathers fly and the roosters right leg drop, the only trouble is the rooster didn’t drop. Duke and I tried tracking him into the next field but he was long gone. I hate when that happens. By the time we pull up to the next field the sun is at full strength, it’s almost 50 degrees and it is flat calm with no wind at all, positively awful pheasant weather. Duke and I hunted until last light that day and put in a ton of miles. I was lucky enough to sneak up on one rooster and put him in the old vest pouch but all the other birds were getting up at least 50 to 60 yards out, and that makes for tough hunting. Still, you know what they say: a bad day hunting is better than……yadda yadda yadda.
The birds are out there boys and girls, you just need to put in the shoe leather and try to get off the beaten path. Heading back out this Thursday with a good friend who owns my pup’s sister. I’ll let you know how it goes.

Another great write up Sig! It seems to be a better year for birds out east, I have been out a few times and have seen far more. Like you said, the farther you walk and the more you explore the better it gets.

Todd

Hey Sig, you've got a new lab!!!!
Tom

Hey Tom, Yeah, I sure did. Oakley my 12yr old black lab is retired now and I picked up Duke my 2yr old yellow lab on Thanksgiving of 2017. I was looking for a pointing lab and Advantage Pointing Labs came highly recommended to me, they are located in Yuma, Co and Francis, the owner, is a phenomenal breeder and trainer. Duke is awesome and he can go all day with no problem whatsoever.

Back