Happy New Year Everyone

NewmanCA

Hope everyone is having a great New Years Day. I am trying to get some things done on the ranch here and working with my new dog. The dog has really bonded to me. I tried to see if he would go with my daughter for a walk but he just wants to stick with me. When my other dogs tried to get in on the petting, the springer started growling at the other dogs to get away like he wasn't willing to share, lol.

I am at square one with him. The two things I am working on is getting him to sit and coming back to me when I call him. I watched some k9 obedience videos and am trying to follow those. They use treats at first to reward the dog when he sits. I will be doing that the next few days to see how he comes along. The one issue this dog has is right after he puts his behind down he wants to jump up on me. Must be a bad habit that was encouraged by the old owner. I want to try and break him of that. I got him to sit sometimes without jumping up so I want to continiue encouraging that and hopefully he will get consistent with that. He really seems to be picking up on coming back to me. After working with him a couple of days he really is starting to come back to me.

I am in no way a pro trainer but the one thing I've read, seen and done is to correct without voice commands. Only one command to tell the dog what you expect, then physically put the dog where you want him. Eventually they will get the idea. If you put the dog in position and then he moves from position, do not tell him again. Just put him back. You want him to learn to listen to the first command. Not the 3rd or 4th time you say it. Another thing is to increase the length of time you have them stay in position. Start at seconds before giving your release command. Work your way up in time. This way you start immediately rewarding the action with a treat. Give a treat at sit, and another once they release on your command. After they are listening, remove the treat from the sit command and only give it on the release. That way they learn to patiently wait for the release to get the treat. If they move out of position, and run off, be sure to calmly get them, pick them up, carry them to position, and sit them back down. Hopefully I've helped! My 2 cents. I'm sure the folks over in the dog training area have loads more to say! Oh, about the aggressiveness towards another dog or barking at people. My old trainer used to put the E-Collar on and the second there was any tell tale sign of aggression he would correct. Before the growling or barking.

I am in no way a pro trainer but the one thing I've read, seen and done is to correct without voice commands. Only one command to tell the dog what you expect, then physically put the dog where you want him. Eventually they will get the idea. If you put the dog in position and then he moves from position, do not tell him again. Just put him back. You want him to learn to listen to the first command. Not the 3rd or 4th time you say it. Another thing is to increase the length of time you have them stay in position. Start at seconds before giving your release command. Work your way up in time. This way you start immediately rewarding the action with a treat. Give a treat at sit, and another once they release on your command. After they are listening, remove the treat from the sit command and only give it on the release. That way they learn to patiently wait for the release to get the treat. If they move out of position, and run off, be sure to calmly get them, pick them up, carry them to position, and sit them back down. Hopefully I've helped! My 2 cents. I'm sure the folks over in the dog training area have loads more to say! Oh, about the aggressiveness towards another dog or barking at people. My old trainer used to put the E-Collar on and the second there was any tell tale sign of aggression he would correct. Before the growling or barking.

Thanks for the info. I will save. Yes, my concern is not wanting to confuse him. The dog is really smart and seems eager to want to please. We have definitely bonded and he is much closer to me than either of my labs ever were. The last time I worked with him was the best. I got him to sit each time without him jumping on me. I plan on working on just sitting a bit more and then gradually work on sitting for longer periods. looking forward to the longer days so we can do some work evenings. I can already notice the days are getting a little bit longer.

Thanks for the info. I will save. Yes, my concern is not wanting to confuse him. The dog is really smart and seems eager to want to please. We have definitely bonded and he is much closer to me than either of my labs ever were. The last time I worked with him was the best. I got him to sit each time without him jumping on me. I plan on working on just sitting a bit more and then gradually work on sitting for longer periods. looking forward to the longer days so we can do some work evenings. I can already notice the days are getting a little bit longer.

Same here, I am looking forward to the longer days. My training fields have coyotes in them and when I go run the dogs in the dusk it's sketchy. They've chased a coyote once! Glad you're enjoying the training. I enjoy it. I'm actually just about to build a pigeon coop for this seasons training.

LOL, if my dog is not used to shooting he sure is used to loud noises now. My property borders an almond orchard and my neighbor has had problems with these stupid little finch birds pulling the blossoms off the almond trees so my neighbor put two propane cannons next to my driveway. They are as loud as a shotgun and they have been going off all day long for the past three weeks every day all day, lol. The Spaniel is oblivious to the cannon noise, even when they go off next to him.

Back