hand held GPS

Looper

With the ability to download the public land maps to a gps how many of you use a hand held to make sure you are not straying out of bounds? A couple of the pieces that we hunted this weekend were marked well at the roadside but we were not certain how far in we could go and we are thinking about getting one for just this reason.
And for those of you that do use one what brands are you using and would you make the same purchase knowing what you know about it now?
I would like to find something that is very simple to use and won't break the bank, might check the pawn shops in our area for something.

Last edited:
On my phone I have an app that is $20 a year, you select the state, and it will show where you are, the property lines, the owners name and how much they own. Its "onX HUNT" they are suppose to update it every year.

You can just download the SDGF&P app on your phone for free. It has all the public lands on it. If you have location turned on in your phone it will tell you right where you are standing. I've used it for the last couple years. It works pretty well. Only trouble I have had is when walking out where I deer hunt along the Cheyenne river breaks in the middle of nowhere. It works on top of the ridges but not in the bottoms since there is no signal. Have not run into any issues while pheasant hunting though.

Astro 320

I downloaded the free map from GFP and use it on my Astro 320. That way I can keep track of my dog and stay on the correct side of public land. Works out really well especially in those places where there are no fences.

Good luck and take care

Gear

For me its one straw too many, having personally cut back on carrying extra ammo, although my shooting can resemble an opposite requirement. Seriously though, Every piece of public land that I hunted this year was marked sufficiently. I personally would earmark those funds to a lightweight shotgun, or perhaps some new lighter weight boots, or......!!

Let us know if you purchase one.

For me its one straw too many, having personally cut back on carrying extra ammo, although my shooting can resemble an opposite requirement. Seriously though, Every piece of public land that I hunted this year was marked sufficiently. I personally would earmark those funds to a lightweight shotgun, or perhaps some new lighter weight boots, or......!!

Let us know if you purchase one.

Everything I have hunted the roadside is marked excellent but the inside of it has zero to tell you how far in you can go, this is all the WIA that I have ever been on. And I have a good shotgun and new boots.

Looper I am with you on this one. Knowing where you are at and someone telling you were they think your at is often times two different places.

I've got both a Garmin eTrex 20 (for backpacking) and the new Garmin Alpha 100 for my dog. If you are familiar with Garmin handheld GPS's you are good, but if not they have a steep learning curve. They are not very intuitive until you understand how they work then its like second nature.

I used my eTrex a lot grouse hunting in northern Michigan this past year a lot to mark flushes since I couldn't see squat.

I use a Garmin Alpha. I download the SD atlas on a chip and it works great.

The phone app is nice, but crushes my data roaming on my phone.

OnXHunt period. CAN download for offline use. Don't buy another gadget when all you need is right on your phone already.

Back