Hammered birds

Dohyde34

I've shot two pheasants this year and literally blew them in half, I'm still getting used to hunting farm raised birds. It's my lab pups first season and he is very hesitant on retrieving them. Is this a common problem with pups? I don't remember it every being a problem with my last lab and he wasnt FF. What would you guys do to fix this? Both times we paused hunting and I threw the bird a couple of times for him.
He's a weird dog. I don't think he likes have the blood or guts in his mouth.

Don’t be concerned in my opinion just keep dropping birds for him. I’ve seen pups do that or the opposite and try to eat a hammered bird. If by the end of the season you still have concerns it can be addressed in the off season. Year one have fun!

I've shot two pheasants this year and literally blew them in half, I'm still getting used to hunting farm raised birds. It's my lab pups first season and he is very hesitant on retrieving them. Is this a common problem with pups? I don't remember it every being a problem with my last lab and he wasnt FF. What would you guys do to fix this? Both times we paused hunting and I threw the bird a couple of times for him.
Maybe you might try and slow down the lightning-like response to the birds' flushes and let them get out a bit. That, or if you can, put an IC in?
(Waiting's cheaper.)

You might start by taking a bunch of treats, or kibble, and give the dog one while congratulating him profusely upon his retrieval. Make it a big deal and he'll catch on.

Best wishes.

Thats a good thing. A lot better than getting to your dog just in time to see the last of your bird sliding down his throat! I'm with quail nerd, don't sweat it yet. P.S. some of my greatest dogs had weird streak's!!

Back