gun intro

ctybrddg

My dog loves birds and when they are present she does not flinch when I shoot. When she hears shots in the distance she stops and then continues on. I went out for ohio opening day she did well but when people shot about 100yds away she stopped. I don't think she is gun shy. What could this be?

Most dogs will do that. I think they are looking to see if something drops near them for a retrieve........Bob

it is perfectly natural and is ok that she does this it means she is paying attention to what is going on all around her

I went hunting early with buddies(no dog) and later I took pup solo to hunt. I was hoping to control as much as possible. What are some ground rules to tell hunting partners when hunting over your dog?

Rule One, No body gives commands to my dog but me without permission. In fact I perfer it if you don't talk to them at all while hunting.......Bob

Rule Two: When the dog is on point. I will give instructions on how to handle it. Do Not rush to the dog, it will hold for us to get there............Bob

O how I love watching her work.:eek: Today she went charging through cover. If anyone else would have been with me they might have been annoyed. I held my patience until she got it out of her system. Then started quartering the field. :10sign:

I think the answers to your questions depend a lot on the dog and its personality and also on what level of training you are at with it. Type of dog also comes into play for me a little. As far as someone being upset if a dog had a few minutes of less than perfect hunting, I think I would be finding someone new to hunt with as anyone that has hunted with dogs know that most are not perfect all the time.

For me and my ESS 2-4 of us total is a nice number for him and his hunting style. Have done larger groups but like to keep it close to that number.

Good luck,

Matt D

My pup is a mix Viszla and Wiem. She hunts very close and checks in alot. I think new fields still get to her until she gets bird in her nose. Tail between her legs and all of a sudden tail up and she starts workn. She never gets further than 50yrd without looking for me.

Back