Gun cleaning.

bobeyerite

How often do you clean your gun? I clean mine after every outing in some way shape or form. If I was clay shooting it gets a deep clean. Meaning I take every thing apart and clean it piece by piece.

If it is after a day a field I just run a rag down the barrel and with an oiled rag wipe all the outside surfaces to protect from rust. I normally only shoot a few shells a day so a light cleaning is all that is needed. About once a week I do give it a deep clean to the seeds and junk out.---Bob

Bob...do yourself favor and pick up a bore snake. By far the easiest field cleaning tool out there. It also takes up almost no room. When I'm on extended hunting trips I run the bore snake through the barrels every day and wipe down the entire gun with a silicon cloth. I shoot o/u's so it doesn't take much to clean them. At home I use a bronze brush to really work on the barrels. I'm a bit of clean freak with my guns. Keeping them clean is a good way to ensure that they are in good working order and won't blow up when you pull the trigger.

Depends.
After an upland hunt my OU just gets two passes of the bore snake through each barrel, then an oiled patch though the bores and a wipe down. Maybe a bit of lubrication depending on the hunting conditions.

After a clay shoot I don't bother with the bore snake. I go right to the wire brush with nitro solvent, then a pieces of rag until they come out clean, and finally and oiled patch through the bores and a regular cleaning on teh outside.

Now when I'm waterfowling in the Bay of Fundy mud, the clean-up of my semi-auto is pretty intense.... Just to give you an idea...

When the conditions are like THIS:

HarvestPB080065.jpg

The cleaning is like THIS:
20071017tubgun.jpg

BTW - the only reason teh dog's body is clean in that pic is because she just came in from a retrieve - most of the time, her body looks like her fact in that pic - a "chocolate yellow lab" - lol!
-Croc

I have a bore snake, several of them in fact. But you would be shocked to see what those things do leave behind. They are great for taking out the plastic residue after a trap shoot, while the gun is still hot. But I still want to deep clean to get out all the gunpowder residue.---Bob

I'm not big on the tub of water I have seen people with a garden hose spaying the gun down. Myself, I tend to do all I can to prevent the gun from getting full of mud or such things.

I'm old school. Powder solvent, bore brush & gun oil. I clean my guns after every use. I did hunt nearly everyday from Sept 15th to the end of Nov. I don't know if that's going to happen anymore though...so will I clean them less? maybe, but cleaning them is not work to me, it's yet another reason to handle the things I love so much

Chuck

Last edited:
right or wrong I clean my guns before each season bieng on on dove ,pheasant ,andturkey, other than that they never get cleaned unless they really need it

Let me ask this question; How many of you shooters feel that a clean shoots better and helps you hit more birds?---Bob

Not for me. For me, cleaning is just part of taking care of my guns so that they work well for me and last me a lifetime and/or hold their value in case I want to sell them. I suppose if I let it get REALLY gunky in there I would feel like it affects my pattern etc..., but otherwise I'd have to say no, for me it's not about that. In an indirect way though, in the sense that shooting is so much about confidence, I probably shoot better with a gun that I am confident is going to function flawlessly than I would with a gun that I am worried is going to jam or misfire.
-Croc

I understand where yoour coming from crockett and you probably shoot guns that cost way more than my 50.00 auction guns . I really don't have a good gun heck most of the time they never leave the pickup in the off season.

in luea of bobs question the last time i cleaned my pump gun i never hit a bird but after i switched to my other gun for quail in the afternoon that was dirty I hit lots of birds

With my shooting record on live birds, I want all the help I can get. Crockett hit it with a clean gun. I know I'm going to get the best pattern possible. I have been told by dealers and gunsmiths I keep my guns too clean at times.---Bob

well bb I to suffer from to much lead in the air and not enough results in the bag . But I was once told that i kept my guns to clean and so i picked up the bad habit of not cleaning enough and it hasn't affected the way i shoo t. I still don't fill the bag wether the gun is clean or dirty

I only own single shots and doubles so it's easy to see what the barrels look like after shooting. I do the full solvent/brush/oil down at the end of each season: hunting and clays. All the other times I use a Boresnake to remove residue then oil if it looks like it needs it. Fingerprints always get wiped off. I fully agree that the Boresnake is no substitute for the full treatment - the barrels may look shiny bright, but they aren't truly clean.

I shoot just as poorly with clean and dirty barrels.:rolleyes:

Back