guide hunt or do it yourself

Hi i am from kansas and was wondering how to get pheasant, huns prairie chickens and isnt there a few more birds in a three or four day trip? what areas hold them all and any good wild bird outfitters?

Going with a guide would probably be the best for you. 3-4 days is not enough time to scout and find a place on your own. Montana has some good pheasant hunting, but very limited on suitable habitat, and all on private land. Hard to get on unless you know people. Sage lands. and cattle ranges are not pheasant country. And there are no Prairie Chickens in Montana. Sage Grouse, Sharptail Grouse, Hungarian Partridge and the mountain Grouse species.

Any good wild bird outfitters?

Hi i am from kansas and was wondering how to get pheasant, huns prairie chickens and isnt there a few more birds in a three or four day trip? what areas hold them all and any good wild bird outfitters?

Im trying to do a Billings trip in a few weeks for work. . . Keep me updated on your trip. If you find a fair priced wild bird outfitter, I might have to load up my O/U and Lab and drive to Montana for work and FUN!

Hunthardcore@gmail.com

I've hunted eastern Montana with my buddy 4 times over the last 5 yrs during the week of Thanksgiving. Plenty of good pheasant hunting on the walk-in areas. Although not as many birds as the Dakotas, the public areas don't get hit near as hard and our total birds bagged usually ended up similar. And we usually ended up with a couple new private pieces to hunt just by politely asking......something we rarely found in SD. We never used a guide and had plenty of chances to bag our limits every day. Obviously a guide will get you into birds, but if you're willing to work for it, you'll have a great time on your own and bag your share of birds. Last year out there, we brought home pheasant, sharptails and hungarian partridge with most off of public land. Now if you don't have dogs.....I'd definately hire a guide.

PM me if you'd like to discuss areas.

Brett

Back