GSP training

dakota hunting

I have a 12 week old pup and she is smart.
comes to her name
used to walking on a leash.

What are some steps to training her?
When should i put her on birds in a field?

I take it the dog is being properly socialized?

You could introduce the dog to a quail or a wing clipped pigeon at that age as it will build desire, but I wouldn't overdue it. Still pretty young dog and socialization and bonding is still ongoing at this age. continue to work on some basic commands like "come" or "kennel" or what ever command you wish to use for this. Use a check cord in conjunction with giving the command, but keep the pressure low and make it a fun thing for them. Their attention span is still very short at 12 weeks. You could certainly take the dog for walks or runs in an open field where there may be wild birds as this too is a new thing and part of the learning process.

Most professionals don't like to take a dog in for more formal training or even just entry level bird and gun introduction till the dog is at least 5 months old. they just don't have the attention span yet any earlier.

Last edited:
ok thanks she has come and kennel basically down.
I have put her on quail and she liked the sound.

What about woah?
is it to early.....
Woah post or any other suggestions

You can plant the seed for whoa. but make it low pressure though. before you open her kennel door say "Whoa" open the door if she tries to come out push the door back on her until she will stay when it's opened. Same for letting her outdoors. don't get carried away with it just use it informally. It's more of an association at this stage. Remember she still a baby and has a SHORT attention span right now, so it's futile to expect much. Formal Whoa training should come much further down the road. And most important especially at this stage or any stage for that matter when teaching Whoa, is DON'T TEACH IT AROUND BIRDS !! this should be done away from birds until she fully understands the command.

Last edited:
at that age its important to let the puppy be exactly that! A puppy! concentrate on obedience! think wing on a rod and line will hone in the pointing skill too, and its never too early to start gun breaking your dog! if you can't find a cap gun, a CO2 bb gun works pretty well too just fire off blank air, then work your way up to a .22 and if you live in town....using ballons help too..just blow it up a ballon let the dog play with it and pop it...all you want him/her to do is get use to the pop :)

Back