GSP Breeders

Lanerjo

Hey guys I need some advice, I am trying to research and find the best of the best GSP breeders. I know the best of the best is difficult to quantify. But there are certain traits I am looking for in my next GSP.

I have had the great pleasure of growing up with a wonderful gsp. She however passed away at 11yrs of age many years ago. As a youngster she was my best friend and dear hunting companion.

The qualities I would be looking for in a gsp pup are as follows...
1. Natural hunter
2. Learns from mistakes in the field without correction
3. Active and playful
4. I would be looking for this pup to take both natural ability and master hunter titles by the time she is 3yrs old.
5. Female
6. Family dog, great with kids
7. Natural desire to retrieve to hand
8. Preferred color/markings would be a solid cinnamon color
9. The dog would have to come from a strong genetic background with many many relatives having earned top in breed, master hunter, good citizenship, field champion,
10. Be my dearest of friends, able to stay inside and a desire to be close to the family

This dog will spend the first few months of it's life with the family learning the basics, come, sit, stay, heel, whoa before being sent to a finisher. I will be hunting over this dog every other weekend for the duration of the hunting seasons and may also make a trip to SD every year with the dog.

In your guys experience which breeders would you recommend i look into, visit, chat with and research?

I think we would all like to have a GSP with the qualities you listed. One good thing about the GSP breed as a whole is that there are many reputable breeders, thus quality dogs been bred, thus the popularity of the breed. Probably more so than many other pointing breeds. They are all over the country with a good many of those right here in the mid-west. But as you well know genetics will only carry you so far and seeing the full potential of an individual is entirely up to what you make of it.

You also must decide on how soon you want a pup as many of the best of the so-called best of breeders, don't even advertise, they don't need to. Their pups are normally sold long before their born thru inquiry or word of mouth. Normally to get on a list you will have to act well in advance.

I will PM you with some ideas to start with.

Thank you for the quick reply and the PM... I have been looking into two of the ones you mentioned for some time now.

I plan on continuing my research and know that there will most likely be a waiting list to find the right dog.

I like to think that I breed almost exactly what you are looking for, with the exception that I don't have any solid liver dogs. Most of my pups have been a dark liver roan. My next litter with Halley has 15 of the 16 dogs in the first 3 generations all being MH titled. Her last litter earned a Navhda breeder's award for natural ability. You can find more info here http://www.aspenhillgundogs.com/Puppies.html If you want more info, just let me know. I always have time to talk about dogs. Shoot me a pm or give me a call. Halley is in heat and the breeding should take place any day now.

My Abby is all those things you mentioned you want. I would recommend High Point Kennels out of Yoder Colorado. They usually don't have many solids though. I can't figure out how to post pictures but my dog looks a lot like holy moses dog.

WWW.shiningstargsp.com

:thumbsup:

Looks like they possibly have some pups available right now, although none being solid color.

Very impressive pedigrees, with some of the best genetics you can find IMO. Plus, you will be hard pressed to find a breeder/trainer more passionate. all their dogs live inside their home and are given more love and affection than some children receive Lol!

Last edited:
I bought my dog from Standing Stone Kennels in KS. I looked at Willow Creek, Sharp Shooters, and Top Gun. I was set on one of them they all have kennels full of VCs and MHs. I met Ethan when a friend picked up his lab that was being trained there. We went out and hunted with a few of his dogs that were pups and they were really good.

I started looking into his breeding and really liked what was coming up next. It was a Sharpshooter and Top gun breeding. While my pup has the genetics ( http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=5615 ) behind her I think she is as good as she is because of how she was brought up. They work with kenneling the dogs before you pick them up (one night of crying, yes!). There are started on whistle recall and come to you 90% of the time. She just seemed more ready to go, if that makes sense, than any other pup I've had or been around.

On top of the great dog Ethan helped me through starting my first pointer. He was available all the time and knew exactly what needed to be done. At 5 months old I hunt tested the first GSP puppy I've owned, trained, or handled. We ran in NAVHDA and got a prize 3. All 4's but her track was a mess, I've practiced the track with her but she had a bit too much puppy to really think about tracking. I'll try her NA test in the spring after hunting her a year.

I went with Standing Stone because I liked the package. Check them out! http://www.standingstonekennels.com

p.s. I have deposit on a second puppy this spring. :D

Thank you guys for all the positive feedback and recommendations. ... I will check out standing stone as well as the others... ive been looking into westwind and top gun but a couple of the others look promising as well... how much did you guys pay for your dogs from these places if you don't mind sharing?

You will likely pay anywhere from $500 to $1000 and likely closer to $1000 for a pup from your more established breeders. Of course some of the cost may depend what breeding is taking place and whether female or male. Some may charge more for females.

But please realize that even a $1000 is a drop in the bucket compared to what your investment will be in this dog over the course of it's life time. That is of course if you truly want a dog that lives up to what you have laid out for us.

Please... Please, don't base your decision solely on the price of their pups.

My advice is to narrow down your choices to a couple and see if you can arrange a visit to see some of their dogs in action. This is a perfect time of year as the hunting seasons are getting underway and the preserves are in full swing. I would bet that most (if given ample lead time) would arrange a date for a visit. If they won't, then cross them off the list.

Websites and pedigrees don't always tell the whole story and there's nothing like seeing dog flesh in action.

Last edited:
That is good advice from birdshooter. From what I have seen, most dogs that have the qualities and proven lines you are looking for will be in the $800-$1200 range. I price my MH x MH breedings at $1000. Make sure you are buying from someone who is going to stand behind the dog and be there to help you when you have questions about training, health or anything else.

Thunderhead GSP's.....

Back