Grouse/Woodcock vs Pheasants

Secret to grousing is finding them in cover where you actually get a good shot.
I've stated this before, but I think a well-trained pointer would be a valuable asset for grouse hunting. It would allow me to get into a reasonable shooting position for the flush. That isn't how my labrador hunts though. When we hunt roosters, most of them do not hold tight, they run.

River, You are correct. A good pointing dog is essential to Grousing. It takes a while to get used to shooting thru brush and trees also. It is a damn fast game. 100% concentration.

I've stated this before, but I think a well-trained pointer would be a valuable asset for grouse hunting. It would allow me to get into a reasonable shooting position for the flush. That isn't how my labrador hunts though. When we hunt roosters, most of them do not hold tight, they run.
You are absolutely correct. One of the two best phez dogs I've had the privilege to own was big wire who was close and hunted with her head down. She was spoiled rotten, so I let her get away with bumping phez. Her and I learned to be pretty deadly. But our method was just a few yards shy of getting a shot at the grouse. After a good scolding she would slow down and start pointing a few.

True, I tell you what works for me to slow them down. Put a checkcord on them. I used to have a French Brittany that was outstanding on Grouse. But first you had to let her work with a 25' soft checkcord for about 30 minutes. Then it was time..... Damn I miss that dog. She would hunt with me on trails etc also. We would walk down the trail and she would turn and look at me for directions of where I wanted her to hunt. I would point to which side, she would go there. We were extremely quiet. That is a big deal.

I would go back to SD. The best advice for SD is to be willing to change areas. Bird numbers may not be great in one area, but 50-100 miles away they may be great. Plenty of birds on public, but they are smart. When I go by myself I expect to have an opportunity at a limit every day and when I go with someone else, I expect us to have 4-6 opportunities a day. Some days we find more birds, but normally kill at least 3 a day.
100% accurate. The opportunity to limit for 1-2 people on public land is there. Up to you to shoot accurate, have a decent dog, be in shape and willing to walk. Up to a little luck that you pick your trip with decent weather and that the public pieces you hunt haven't been hunted hard right before you. There is so much public land though, and lots of lazy hunters, that you can find good public land. The only times I don't do good are when I get into too big of a piece of land and waste 4 hours/half the day on it. 10am - 5:00ish pm goes by quick.

Back