Grouse/Huns to the East

PdDoubleShot

Hello All,
First and Foremost let me introduce myself, My name is Pat, and I moved to MT 3 years ago. I am a bird hunting fanatic, obsessed to say the least. I have two good little bird dogs, a springer and a brittany. I lived near Cascade the past two years and hunted that area(Hi line, Conrad, Etc.) basically a 100 mile radius from Cascade looking for birds extensively.
With that said, I have recently moved to Bozeman for work, and am trying to scramble to come up with a plan for this season. I will be out for the opener but have yet to decide how far east I need to go, where to go etc. I am not looking at all for a free handout, nor am I asking for exact Block Management locations with birds. All I really was hoping to get was a general direction of how to hunt east of bozeman vs. hunting the Rocky Mt. Front and hi line area.
I know how to hunt, I know what cover to look for, but can anyone give me some general pointers as to how the hunting is East of bozeman. Is the Livingston area pounded extemely hard, or is there huntable birds in that vicinity.
Want to make clear, not looking for a handout, not looking for your secret spots! I'm just hoping for a little guidance. I have checked the blocks extensively, and that will be where I spend most of my efforts. I will check any block I can until I get them checked off of my list, but any help from you knowledgeable guys(I have been reading on this forum for a while), would be greatly appreciated.
Sorry for the long winded post, But thanks, and nice to meet everyone!

Where your at, I would look into mountain grouse. Mountain Grouse hunting is never crowded with hunters.

Yellowstone River "bottoms" to the East, and associated coulees and tributaries all have pheasant, Sharptail and Huns. I would get to know some landowners.
Offer to give a rancher a weekends labor, bet it works for you.:thumbsup:

Well made it out, northwest of Livingston. Got into decent number of huns, and a couple groups of sharpies. Plenty of action to keep the dogs busy and my trigger finger itchy. It was a good warm up (literally) for the dogs and I for this season, but in order to keep the dogs safe, was only able to hunt spots with cold creeks running through them during midday. You could almost call it chilly in the mornings though, which was very nice. Nothing like the first feeling of fall in the air. Got some nice pics maybe ill post them on here at some point.

Anyone else make it out, any stories?? Bird number reports?? Cover Reports?

I was out in the greater Great Falls area last evening. Only hunted two hours but I found two hun coveys and a couple of sharp tail singles. Not bad considering it was north of 75 degrees. Fortunately, half way through the hunt I found a metal stock tank full of water. The dog wasn't sure when I picked her up but once I lowered her into the water she was all good. Then she didn't want to get out! :D

Anyone else make it out, any stories?? Bird number reports?? Cover Reports?

Looking forward to your pics and stories.

Check out the thread in the Main Pheasant Hunting Forum. "HEY I'm Back! Pics"

Tells about my early Sept trip.

Back