Grouse anyone?

WI ditch chicken

Is anybody going out grouse hunting this weekend? Should be a nice weekend for. I figured I would take alittle stroll through the woods to see if I could find one. Will probably have to dodge the guys who just can't wait to kill a deer.

Good luck to anyone who goes!

I live in Janesville. 3 hours drive will put me in world class grouse cover. 30 flush days. Can't see that short drive ever stop me from hunting grouse (or pheasants). You could be in pretty decent grouse hunting within 2 hours (or less) from Madison.

Hunted this past saturday and sunday. Dad and I had a lot of flushes and killed a few birds. Dogs were rusty and the cover thick.

yep national forests its all fair game up north.

County forest usually have a lot more recent logging which equals better grouse habitat. Email the county forest office for the county you plan on hunting they can be pretty helpful. Some of them will even email maps of the cuts labeled
by age.

It's been a pretty disapointing grouse season for me. Very low grouse numbers in Langlade and Vilas Counties. 5 hours in the woods with the pup this weekend and only 1 grouse fluish. We did manage to come home with a couple of woodcock, as the pup pointed a couple birds. A friend has been seeing a lot of birds west of Tomahawk, so maybe the thing to do would be exploring up around Park Falls.

As someone else said, try the County Forests. The National Forests are becoming biological deserts due to the lack of management, resulting in overmatured and dying forest stands. They are years behind in harvesting overmature Aspen and even if they started achieving the goals of their forest plans, they will not catch up. Annual growth on the Chequamegon-Nicolet National Forest is 365 million board feet per year. However, they allow timber harvesting on only 850,000 of the 1.4 million acres, on which annual growth is about 225 million board feet per year. The forest plan calls for an annual allowable sales quotient [ASQ] of 130 MMBF, but they're only cutting 60-70 MBF, or only 1/4 of annual growth. Even achieving their plan ASQ, more trees will die instead of being utilized and in Aspen, that translates to a shrinking grouse/woodcock habitat. The State Forests are just as bad.

Counties, however, utilize their forests and make significant contributions to their annual budgets, thereby keeping resident property taxes down. Thank God the tree huggers haven't started suing the Counties as they have the National Forests.

I was in Vilas Co last weekend as well. I found birds but they were flushing wild. Life with a retriever I suppose..
Found a few doodles too
Care to swap some spots that you hunted? I can do the same..

Its always a learning experience as I don't get up there as much as I'd like but it gets better with time. Noting the better spots and writing off the poor spots. Got some better maps on my way out of town on Monday too.

My place is on Plum Lake. I used to hunt a lot between Star Lake and High Lake on State Forest. But they haven't cut much aspen there in recent years and most of the coverts I hunted 20 years ago are more mature and no longer hold the birds. I have two spots between Plum/Star and Eagle River that usually hold birds. In the one on Saturday the ground was covered with woodcock chalk. We had snow on Friday night and by the looks of it, the timber doodles had been there Thursday in a large number. Ran through the entire area without seeing a thing. A day late and a dollar short, as the saying goes.

I am still hunting this year,due to the lack of snow, and enjoying the emptiness of the woods. I went up to Iron River for three days and had some really good hunting and didn't see a soul. Closer to home in the county forests has been just as good, birds are a little spooky but it's nice just to get out. It has been pretty standard to flush anywhere from 10 to 20 birds this winter. Shooting hasn't been that good but it has been good practice for the dogs.

Back