grouse and woodcock

mmelton

grouse season is open this saturday and woodcock the following wednesday got the 20th and the 23rd off planning on a long drive north to give it a try then off work again to hit the UP Oct 6th through the 14th for some more chances at these fast flyers

We'll be out there Saturday. Hunt a couple of hours in the morning and then have to finish up some posting. We are on the downward leg of the cycle and I'm not hearing rave reviews of birds moved so far up here. Soft mast is practically non-existant, save for AO. Terrible drought up here this spring/summer.

Our UP trip is Oct 15-20 and most of the wc will have already left by then. But then we leave for SoDak the next week.:D :10sign:

Good Luck and shoot straight.

NB

grouse season is open this saturday and woodcock the following wednesday got the 20th and the 23rd off planning on a long drive north to give it a try then off work again to hit the UP Oct 6th through the 14th for some more chances at these fast flyers

How does that work out with most leaves still on the trees? I want to head north early this year, but I've heard it's nearly impossible to see grouse this early in the season.

What kind of luck do you have this early on?

tough tough shooting, get to see more flushes or should I say hear more flushes with all the leaves on the trees but its still fun and if you go early there is still alot of young stupid birds to be had. Just need to keep in mind how hot it can get in Sept 80 degree days are common so make sure to have lots of water for both you and the dog

tough tough shooting, get to see more flushes or should I say hear more flushes with all the leaves on the trees but its still fun and if you go early there is still alot of young stupid birds to be had. Just need to keep in mind how hot it can get in Sept 80 degree days are common so make sure to have lots of water for both you and the dog

Maybe I'll wait it out then. I'm going up in October some time anyway. Leaves should drop early this season due to the drought (I hope).:confused:

Good luck and let us know how you guys do this weekend.:cheers:

I don't mean to steal the thread. Thought you may like this photo of a grouse I shot near my friends land in Central Wis. a couple years back.

picture.php

Last edited:
yep your right I guess I will be only scouting for woodcock on the 20th then back to shoot some if i'm lucky on the 23rd

Back