Grouse and Woodcock tips

Hosk13f

I recently finished my first season of hunting with my 1.5 year old lab and wanted to get into woodcock and grouse hunting, I have never gone after these just state stocked pheasants and preserve chukar but want to get her on some wild birds between trips out west. I'm not looking for spots just some tips on which covers to hunt or look for, or maybe a general area of the state I read North central is probably the best bet, I know I am using a flushing dog which changes the game but she works close and from what I have read so far we should focus on edges but everything I've seen so far was from Minnesota and out west so I was wondering if covers would be different. Thanks in advance for any help

I hunt grouse about once a season in the fall. In Minnesota in mid to late October with a veteran british female labrador. Full disclosure, she is far better at pheasant hunting than she is chasing grouse.

You honestly may be better off just going after grouse without a dog to be perfectly honest. If you had a well-trained pointer, it would be a priceless asset in the grouse woods. Being that you have a lab though, that's not an option. Try going with the dog once and see if you have any increased success. Walk through the woods slow, and look for grouse on the ground before they flush. Get into position so that you can take a reasonable shot.

Grouse (and woodcock) are tough sledding compared to pheasants because of the habitat they live in. Look for areas with aspen, clear cuts, and nearby lowland swamps. Usually if there is one around, there will be more.

I hunt grouse about once a season in the fall. In Minnesota in mid to late October with a veteran british female labrador. Full disclosure, she is far better at pheasant hunting than she is chasing grouse.

You honestly may be better off just going after grouse without a dog to be perfectly honest. If you had a well-trained pointer, it would be a priceless asset in the grouse woods. Being that you have a lab though, that's not an option. Try going with the dog once and see if you have any increased success. Walk through the woods slow, and look for grouse on the ground before they flush. Get into position so that you can take a reasonable shot.

Grouse (and woodcock) are tough sledding compared to pheasants because of the habitat they live in. Look for areas with aspen, clear cuts, and nearby lowland swamps. Usually if there is one around, there will be more.
Thanks for the feedback, I'm gonna try her and just keep her close and if anything just bring her along for the fun of it not really looking to fill gamebags just want to get her out as much as possible. Thank you for the help with which covers to look around in

Thanks for the feedback, I'm gonna try her and just keep her close and if anything just bring her along for the fun of it not really looking to fill gamebags just want to get her out as much as possible.
Grouse must not have near as much scent as roosters. Its difficult for my lab to pick up their scent until she's almost right on top of them.

Woodcock are a far more forgiving bird than a grouse for pointing dogs to learn on. Not a big difference for flushers, though. Right now is prime time for their spring migration north in states like PA, MN and WI.

You want to look for young stands with hi stem densities for either grouse or woodcock. Look for areas bordering lowlands as well, since woodcock are worm eaters they need soft soils to probe with their beaks. As MN Guy said, the migration back north is happening now and it would be a good time to get your lab out in these types of covers and see how he/she does and if any birds are there. Just a word of cause in some states they woodcock are already on their nest. If your lab is a close worker and doesn't sprint to the bird when he/she picks up scent then you will be fine. I have had very good success hunting with my lab when she was older, younger once she hit scent she was gone. I think the birds give off a fair amount of scent, however, with not have much vegetation to rub scent off on so they can be a challenge to pin down.

Thanks for the feedback, I'm gonna try her and just keep her close and if anything just bring her along for the fun of it not really looking to fill gamebags just want to get her out as much as possible. Thank you for the help with which covers to look around in
That's a great attitude. And one that will probably get you more results.

Fine line between a walk in the woods and hunting, enjoy both activities. Game farm for off season bird work. Never too much bird contact.

Fine line between a walk in the woods and hunting, enjoy both activities. Game farm for off season bird work. Never too much bird contact.
Thankfully I don't need a farm for off season work in PA, just a place to store chukars before I bring them to state land. Hoping to get her some wild bird contacts in the off season to get that experience for her come hunting season

You want to look for young stands with hi stem densities for either grouse or woodcock. Look for areas bordering lowlands as well, since woodcock are worm eaters they need soft soils to probe with their beaks. As MN Guy said, the migration back north is happening now and it would be a good time to get your lab out in these types of covers and see how he/she does and if any birds are there. Just a word of cause in some states they woodcock are already on their nest. If your lab is a close worker and doesn't sprint to the bird when he/she picks up scent then you will be fine. I have had very good success hunting with my lab when she was older, younger once she hit scent she was gone. I think the birds give off a fair amount of scent, however, with not have much vegetation to rub scent off on so they can be a challenge to pin down.
Thanks for all of the info, she generally works pretty close in the 15-25 yard range when in fields but have no experience in the woods yet besides just going on walks along trails

Welcome Hosk13f,
I'm from WI and you CAN hunt grouse with a lab and be successful. In fact, I think it has made my labs hunt even closer because of early season cover as we prepare for the pheasant season.

I'm sure you already did, but hop on line and check out the Grouse Society projects in PA. I see several on line. Also see Lycome county is suggested as good cover. Not sure where that is from you but....adventures are fun. Often state DNR sights have bird maps. One is good for checking out cover and if its state owned. Google Earth works if you don't have OnX. National Forests here in WI are tougher because they don't log. County forests seem better because they do log. I have found the game manager for a region I want to hunt is invaluable. They will tell you about the area or make suggestions. Make that call after you decide on a general area.

I agree with the rest of the posts about cover. Think LINEAR. Seek out edges. Clovered trails early in season. Dense aspen cuts. Oak edges to more dense cover when the acorns drop. Always any creek with tag alders or any tag alder fingers without water. The ground is softer and cooler in the tag alders and good for early season warm days. Don't be afraid of OLD cuts that have grown up as long as there is good under growth. Often these fill up with hazel nuts.
I'm all over the place on this post, sorry.

Some food and cover thoughts that might help your search:
Look for diversity in the acreage you choose. ie. One with creeks and pines and some cuts.

Early season I hunt logging trails first because birds are eating green forbes found along the trails. Dense aspen cut edges with leaves ON as young birds are eating insects.

After the first hard frost, they seem to switch to red or grey osier Berrys. White berries on bushes often found along trails.
Easy to spot. If you find large areas of them just see if they are dropping. When they do the grouse will be there.

Keep acorn edges in mind when they drop.

Later in the season or winter they eat catkins and buds off of aspen, birch, and tag alders. I love places with tag alders and pines.

Grouse hunting is a lot of miles per bird. Last year there were some days that it was 1 flush per hour. Thats 7 flushes in a day! I say this because the dog doesn't get a lot of work sometimes. This might sound goofy but I've learned over the years when I hunt with a dogtrot is new to grouse, I shoot on those first flushes. You don't get clear glimpses of the bird in early season anyway and have to shoot through leaves BUT I have found if I shoot on those flushes, even if I don't see the bird my dog flushed, that my dogs start to figure out that is what we're after. They already know gun fire means something good.

Good luck and enjoy that pup.

For grouse: If it is a good Beechnut year, concentrate on Beech stands near thicker cover, the thicker the better. Greenbriar & blackberry thickets. If you can find a thorn-apple thicket, it will be good for both grouse & woodcock. Abandoned apple orchards too. Find “flats” in the mts/hills and be prepared to walk miles & miles!

Welcome Hosk13f,
I'm from WI and you CAN hunt grouse with a lab and be successful. In fact, I think it has made my labs hunt even closer because of early season cover as we prepare for the pheasant season.

I'm sure you already did, but hop on line and check out the Grouse Society projects in PA. I see several on line. Also see Lycome county is suggested as good cover. Not sure where that is from you but....adventures are fun. Often state DNR sights have bird maps. One is good for checking out cover and if its state owned. Google Earth works if you don't have OnX. National Forests here in WI are tougher because they don't log. County forests seem better because they do log. I have found the game manager for a region I want to hunt is invaluable. They will tell you about the area or make suggestions. Make that call after you decide on a general area.

I agree with the rest of the posts about cover. Think LINEAR. Seek out edges. Clovered trails early in season. Dense aspen cuts. Oak edges to more dense cover when the acorns drop. Always any creek with tag alders or any tag alder fingers without water. The ground is softer and cooler in the tag alders and good for early season warm days. Don't be afraid of OLD cuts that have grown up as long as there is good under growth. Often these fill up with hazel nuts.
I'm all over the place on this post, sorry.

Some food and cover thoughts that might help your search:
Look for diversity in the acreage you choose. ie. One with creeks and pines and some cuts.

Early season I hunt logging trails first because birds are eating green forbes found along the trails. Dense aspen cut edges with leaves ON as young birds are eating insects.

After the first hard frost, they seem to switch to red or grey osier Berrys. White berries on bushes often found along trails.
Easy to spot. If you find large areas of them just see if they are dropping. When they do the grouse will be there.

Keep acorn edges in mind when they drop.

Later in the season or winter they eat catkins and buds off of aspen, birch, and tag alders. I love places with tag alders and pines.

Grouse hunting is a lot of miles per bird. Last year there were some days that it was 1 flush per hour. Thats 7 flushes in a day! I say this because the dog doesn't get a lot of work sometimes. This might sound goofy but I've learned over the years when I hunt with a dogtrot is new to grouse, I shoot on those first flushes. You don't get clear glimpses of the bird in early season anyway and have to shoot through leaves BUT I have found if I shoot on those flushes, even if I don't see the bird my dog flushed, that my dogs start to figure out that is what we're after. They already know gun fire means something good.

Good luck and enjoy that pup.
Thanks for all of the info, I'm still learning the different food sources out here in PA so I'm not sure if we have tag alders but I'll make sure to keep an eye out.

For grouse: If it is a good Beechnut year, concentrate on Beech stands near thicker cover, the thicker the better. Greenbriar & blackberry thickets. If you can find a thorn-apple thicket, it will be good for both grouse & woodcock. Abandoned apple orchards too. Find “flats” in the mts/hills and be prepared to walk miles & miles!
Thanks for the tips!

Back