Grouse and Woodcock Loads?

trap333

I'm fairly new to upland hunting. I know a 12 gauge will kill a grouse or a woodcock and I can't afford a new 20 or 28 gauge right now. I shoot a Mossberg International Silver Reserve II, 12 gauge. What 12 gauge loads and chokes are good for grouse and woodcock? Any advice would be appreciated, thanks.

I would suggest low brass 7.5 or 8'. I would also suggest open chokes to mod. Anything you can to to spread out your pattern will help. It doesn't take much to bring either down but you also have to have enough pellets flying thru the woods that don't stay in trees. I've sawed my share of you tree's in half. There areally spreader loads you can try as well.

Upland Loads

Thanks Miforester, I appreciate the advice.

trap -- I've not shot many grouse or woodcock, so others with more experience may chime in, but a 12ga 1 ounce load of #7 1/2s would be my choice if using a 12ga. As far as chokes for these birds... CYL, SK and IC would be good chokes to consider. Shoot a few patterns with each choke and your chosen load at the distance you expect to shoot your birds to find the combo that works best.

Here are a few of my pattern numbers to give you an idea of the kind of performance you might get.

Patterning results from a 12-gauge Browning Citori with 28" Invector-plus barrels using Briley flush chokes (patterns average of five, 30" post-shot scribed circle, yardage taped muzzle to target, and in-shell pellet count average of five).

30 YARDS
CYL / Win AA XL 1 oz #7.5 lead (344 pellets) / pattern 194 (56%)
SK / Win AA XL 1 oz #7.5 lead (344 pellets) / pattern 248 (72%)
IC / Win AA XL 1 oz #7.5 lead (344 pellets) / pattern 288 (84%)

Good luck.

Bird Loads

Thanks Joe Hunter, I'll give it some thought.

I agree with everyone else who posted here. I will shoot 6's in early October when the leaves are still on the trees. Good for grouse but they really tear up the woodcock. Also, if you are shooting over a pointing dog, only shoot SKT or IC. When birds are getting up at a range that would require MOD or tighter choke, you won't see them... you will only hear them.

Bird Loads

Thanks Ithacafan, I'll have to get a skeet, I have an IC.

On grouse I would 6s; on woodcock, 8s. If you're using a 12 ga., I would choke cyl. and skeet or skeet and IC.

Thanks BritChaser.

Thanks dogrunner. Trap loads I have plenty of, I shoot trap 3-4 days a week.

Back