Great Year 2012

PHEZZYBOY FROID

Had a lot of good hunts. met a few new friends and discovered some new territory....Thanks 2012....it's been GREAT.

All the best to you and yours and looking forward to 2013.

PBF:thumbsup::thumbsup:

You to Phezzy and everyone, wishing You the best in 2013.

I to checked out some new areas, came across a excellent mixed bag area. Private property, about 24 sq miles of it.
Can't wait to do it all again.:cheers:

Last edited:
Bird numbers were definately up this fall across NE Montana, hopefully with a decent winter, no doubt it will be harsher then last winter, but still, if we can avoid prolonged periods of drifting snow, then have good nesting conditions this spring and summer, 2013 should be a pretty good year, at least that is what I am hoping for. I sure am glad the bird populations have bounced back as much as they have from the 2010-11 winter. However, it is still discouraging to see the deer numbers, especially whitetails where they are. That winter, plus the flooding that spring and summer, followed by a breakout of EHD decimated the heard. I spoke with a well known outfitter from the Hinsdale area, and indicated they did very little hunting on the Milk river this fall due to the low numbers. We had both hoped the deer numbers might bounce back in 5-6 years, now we are beginning to wonder if it actually will. I guess mother nature knows what she is doing, just need to give her time to figure things out...

I've been hunting Muley's in the same areas for a long time. The Fall of 2011 there were only a few does and a few mature bucks. No fawns, NONE that I saw. This past Fall 2012, the does were for the most part with twin fawns, fat and healthy looking.
On a day long hike before the bad winter of 10-11 I would count up around 100 deer per day, mostly does fawns and younger bucks.
Fall of 011 I would see maybe a dozen deer on the day long hikes. This past Fall the numbers were around 25 with about half the numbers being fawns.
Also hunter numbers were WAY DOWN! And I killed my biggest ever MT Muley.:)

Good Winter so far, Mule Deer populations will rebound.:cheers:

Hey PBF, do you bring your own shotguns down to the states ? Me and the wife are going to take a trip to alaska this summer and I would like to take my shotgun with for peace of mind and was wondering what all is involved in crossing the border? Can i bring ammo into canada ? thought you might know the answers to these, thanks.

Hey PBF, do you bring your own shotguns down to the states ? Me and the wife are going to take a trip to alaska this summer and I would like to take my shotgun with for peace of mind and was wondering what all is involved in crossing the border? Can i bring ammo into canada ? thought you might know the answers to these, thanks.

I have taken shotguns into Canada for hunting and ammo (limited to 200 shells). I don't know about taking a gun through Canada to Alaska. I make sure to do the Canadain paperwork in advance, it then costs $25. Also make sure if you take a gun it is in a case and the ammo isn't near it. One customs officer told me if the gun wasn't case and worse yet loaded, it was a free trip to Canadain jail. Do your homework first. More info at:

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publications/pub/bsf5044-eng.html

Back