Great trip

Jerryv

Just got back from nine days in SW ND. Hunted private land with friends on the weekends and mostly by myself during the week. It was terrific except for the long drive out and back, but it is always worth the effort. Shot limits a couple of days and got blanked one day, but can't hunt hard many days without wearing out myself and the dogs.

There were definitely fewer birds than in any of the last several years which puzzled everyone I talked to. The weather last winter was not too severe and the habitat hasn't changed significantly. There were some very young roosters around which must have been second hatches.

The weather was wonderful. I may have to get a strap vest in the future as it was warm enough most afternoons to work up a sweat in a t-shirt and vest. The wind was moderate one day and mild the rest. No 30 mph blasts as I've seen in the past.

Hunting will probably improve in the next weeks as the sunflowers and corn harvests proceed. I would estimate that about 80% of those crops are still standing.

Jerry

Back