Great Time at Uguide Cattail Haven

modog1

I just recently returned from a Thanksgiving week hunt at Uguide Cattail Haven and wanted to write a brief post about my experience. Juts a heads up as to what I expect in a pheasant hunt, is an unguided trip with great cover, good bird numbers, and a warm place to sleep. I am not looking for a catered hunt and I also wasn’t expecting that type of hunt when I booked with Uguide.

First off the lodging hosts were absolutely wonderful. The lodging was not elaborate but it was warm, clean, and comfortable, which is exactly what we were looking for. Our hosts were extremely courteous and made us feel at home.

The 640 acres that we hunted was also great. The landowner took us around the first morning and gave us a few pointers. Per some earlier posts regarding sand burrs, there were definitely some present but not in any areas that would be holding birds. We found minimal trouble, and they barley affected the dogs, burrs are definitely part of upland hunting but it was not overwhelming. Unfortunately there was only the two ( two members of our group at to bail at the last minute) of us so getting our limit each day was a little easier. The first two days of the hunt we found birds in all different types of cover, from Slough Grass, to shelterbelts, to CRP. I thought that the habitat was stupendous. The final morning we were hunting a patch of cane and must have flushed at least thirty birds, of course with so many birds in the sky I choked and did not hit one. Our last day hunting we were able to limit out in under 2 hours. Every day when we were walking back to the truck after limiting we always came across more birds. Even on the second night of hunting we were trying to load up my father-in-law’s dog into the truck but she would not come, we found out it was because she was locked on a rooster less than ten feet away from us.

I believe that Uguide did a great job of helping us set up a memorable hunt. I have traveled to SD every year for the past 6 years and always have hunted state land until this year. I think Uguide is the way to go for me, I plan on using the service again for our trip next year.

picture.php
[/IMG]
picture.php

picture.php

Back