Great Quick Bird Camp

Miforester

Made a quick trip to south central nebraska for a bird hunt. First time back to nebraska since 1996. What a great trip it was. Hunted Nov 16-18, we moved 40 - 60 pheasants, mainly on the 17th, and 10 coveys of quail. The 17th was a nasty day 20 plus winds and driving snow in the afternoon. Birds were extremely flighty and only provided 2 good chances at roosters. Hunted only public land and every piece was great and held birds. I will be visiting nebraska more frequently in the future. Dogs continue to amaze every day were in the field. An added bonus we camped at an SRA and were able to hunt out our back door so to speak.

View attachment 8731View attachment 8732View attachment 8733

Sounds like you had a great time. I've some relatives in North Platte that I've never visited, might have to change that.

Mind sharing the type of tent?

It is the Cabelas Alaskan Guide tent i believe it is the 6 person tent. Im guessing it is close to 20 years old and at the time i bought it you could get the big vestibule as well. I dont think they sell the big vestibule anymore. Yes had a great hunt with awesome dog work. Finally using my Nebraska lifetime license......better late then never...lol

Thanks for the tent info. I purchased a 6 person Alaskan Guide this year so noticed the similarity, but the vestibule threw me. You are correct, no longer big like that.

Yeah it is a good ice addition to the tent and provides great space, it also allows for you to connect two tents together if you wanted. The last night in the tent the temps dropped to 7 degrees and with a big huddy heater it was very comfortable.

Yes buddy heaters are great, it dual purpose, bird camper heater and she shed heater! Happy wife, happy bird hunter...lol. The trip was a success in part by good people like yourself sharing your hunting experiences and suggestions on places to hunt!

Thanks for the report. Looking to head down to NE for a long weekend hunt in early December with the plan to get on some Bob's with my FBECS. How are the sand burrs in the areas you are hunting? When I have ran into them in parts of SD the cordura dog boots just seem to collect them. Probably going to get some of the rubber Lewis Boots for insurance.

Any cactus to deal with?

Thanks for any help

Thanks for the report. Looking to head down to NE for a long weekend hunt in early December with the plan to get on some Bob's with my FBECS. How are the sand burrs in the areas you are hunting? When I have ran into them in parts of SD the cordura dog boots just seem to collect them. Probably going to get some of the rubber Lewis Boots for insurance.

Any cactus to deal with?

Thanks for any help

We didnt encounter any sand burrs or cactus. Did run into a plant that really matted my setters ears to the point where they stuck straight out to the sides. Dont know waht that plant is but it was a pain to clean, still picking some of it out. If your dogs are feathery i would recommend shaving or trimming them.

Planning on hunting in that area of Nebraska starting Sunday good to hear of birds in the area and we're looking forward to the trip

Back