Great day afield this Thanksgiving weekend!

Went to NC KS this morning for some appropriate weather pheasant hunting. Hunted with 2 good friends and 3 dogs. We didn't see great numbers of pheasants, but there were enough to keep it interesting. We managed to harvest 3 and miss 3 others that were within range. The birds were spooky in one of the places we hunted (possibly recently hunted?).

We got into 2 coveys of quail. One covey had 10-12 birds in it; we shot 1, missed one and left the rest alone. Later, while hunting the edge of some milo on the edge of a beautiful draw, we kicked up the biggest covey I've seen this year 30 birds strong. For the first time I actually tried to shoot 2 birds that were very close together, and succeeded in killing them both. They fell in the same milo row about 3 feet apart. Ended up with 6 quail and called it an early day.

Finished the day with a couple of brews and some pictures. I'll post them as soon as my computer will let me attach to this site.

I can't wait to hear some of your reports from around the state!

Last edited:
22â??23 November 2007

Our dogless trip was fun, although less productive than KB's. The five pheasants seen were in .243 range, maybe, but not 12 gauge distance. Those birds (mostly hens), plus a couple dozen quail and a flock of Canada geese, were around a parcel in Marshall County.
89gjwuh.jpg

It was all deer (not in too big a hurry either) and a rabbit in the Clay/Cloud/Washington corner. A party with FIVE dogs reported seeing only one hen all Friday morning.

We hunted in and around harvested corn (with plenty kernels scattered) and some soybeans. There was cover – ditches, banks, and other grassy spots – and water – creeks, drainages, and a river. I'd like to know if the birds were there and evaded us or if they're just concentrated elsewhere in other good spots with food, water, and cover.

The WIHA is a nice program, and we appreciate the reasonable nonresident hunting license fees. We picked up empties (shells and beer cans) where we saw them. Mostly, it was great scenery (hawks galore) and a fine adventure. A few roosters would be a huge bonus; maybe we can collect them on another try next month.

81yyqv7.jpg

Last edited:
mixed bag from Thanksgiving Day

Here's one pic! The title is just for my entertainment and recolection. This hunt didn't really take place at any lodge. This picture was taken after a couple of hours at the local tavern having a "thursty" lunch. The bird on the far left is the one that my 1st year Griffon pointer snagged out of mid-air.

Last edited:
Back