Grandpa's gun

onpoint

Nope, not Grandpa's gun

Great Grandpa's gun?

Nope, not Great Grandpa's gun either

Great, Great Grandpa's gun

Yes Sir Ree.

Let me tell ya a little bit about this gun. When I was dating my wife 28-29 years ago. My then future father inlaw told me he had a SxS shotgun from his Great Grandfather. He told me it had London Fluid steel barrels and it was a 12ga. He told me it was worth $1,000's of dollars. I only got a glimpse of it once and that was only seeing it leaning in a closet. I never handled the gun. I didn't even know what brand it was. I know at one time he said it was a Ithaca.

Well, on our trip out in South Dakota this past couple of weeks. We had been at my father inlaw's for a family reunion and traveled on to our place about 3 hours south. The next day we received a call from the father inlaw. He asked if we would be interested in purchasing the shotgun from that his Great Grandfather had owned. My wife always thought it would be willed to her. Well, tough times have brought my wifes father and Vickies step mom to sell some things. The gun being one of them. He said he had a Pheasant lodge owner who was going to purchase the gun but wanted to ask us first, if we would be interested.

We both looked at each other..scratching our heads..thinking we can't really let this gun out of the family. We didn't know much about it but just knew we couldn't let something like this go. We purchased it site unseen.

Well, it turns out it's not of any great value but the gun is very shootable, although well worn. I wish it could tell all the stories of living on the prairies of South Dakota from the late 1880s/early 1890s when it was purchased, to today's date. Vickies Grandmother was born in 1912 and is still alive. She's going to help her dad put together as much of the guns history as she can.

It was sold by Simmons Hardware Company under the name Utica Firearms company. What I gather is, they were built by Crescent Firearms company. Which was eventually bought up by Savage arms. The design of this gun was used for many, many years. The lock mechanism is much like the 311 Stevens/Savage SxS's that were built for years. Fox

http://www.savagearms.com/history/

The gun will make a commemorative hunt every year as long as my wife or I can continue to hunt. Then our two sons will carry on the tradition. They will be 5th generation to own and shoot the gun. I ordered 4 boxes of 2.5" 7/8oz # 6 loads from Poly Wad to shoot in the gun. I also ordered a new top lever spring from Gun Parts Inc. I have done quit a bit of cleaning/working the action and lubing. The gun is working much better now. At first the top lever wasn't returning to full lock up. The spring is weak but it is now locking up near 100% of the time, although still weak. I will have it replaced.. Maybe I'll do it.

Here are some pics. The stock was repaired at one time. It looks to have been shot when the stock had become loose. Whatever they used, it's holding well. I hope we are able to put a few birds in the game bag with it. I'm sure several Grandpa's would be very proud to know that it was still providing a good meal for folks.

It is 12ga with 30" barrel's . I believe 2.75" chambers. Empty hulls fit in very nicely and the gun closes well. To be safe, I ordered 2.5" for now. I was told it was choked full and modified but will have to take their word for now.

Picture011-1.jpg

Picture014-1.jpg

Picture009-1.jpg

Last edited:
Very nice Chuck, I love it when family things like that happen. I hope my son's do something like that when I move on.......Bob

That's a pretty cool story. It does look a little worn, but it adds to the value imo. I think it looks pretty nice and very cool.

Srick with the 2.5 shells. Unless someone recut the chambers, It was almost certainly 2-9/16 when new, and modern 2-3/4 shells will run the pressures way up.

I will be sticking with the 2.5" Poly Wad shells.

Here are some pics of my two sons who are 5th generation shooting this gun. They were honored to be shooting a 130 year old shotgun from their great, great, great grandfather. They both plan to shoot at least one bird this year with the gun and try and carry on the tradition each year of bagging a bird with the gun.

Nolan, my youngest

Picture003-1.jpg

Picture005.jpg

Charlie my oldest

Picture001-1.jpg

Picture002-1.jpg

When I was a small boy we had only three guns in the house,,,My granddad's 73 Winchester, his old M97 Winchester, and my father's birdgun.

That kicking old 97 was the first shotgun I ever shot and all I had to hunt with until I saved enough money to buy me an auto. As I grew older I learned just what it would do with that long full choke barrel on turkeys and waterfowl (pre-steel days). For the last 45 years it has been somewhat retired and holds it's place of honor in the safe.

This last year I gave it to my middle son Chris, who is my Kansas hunting partner and he carried it with us last December.
389911692.jpg

He is the fourth generation in this family to make meat with the gun and it served him well on the big cakklers! We too like our family heirlooms.

BobM

Sweet Bob, I love to hear stories of people carrying on the tradition with guns that carry so much family history.

Onpoint

Got to put the old gun to work in the Grouse woods today finally.

Here some pics

Picture097.jpg

Picture105.jpg

A series of Grandfathers would be proud to see the old girl still putting game on the table

on point- my two grandfathers never hunted- Irish railroad workers

but I have my dads first 22, first shotgun, two fishing rods, his recurve- I like handling them- son likes them but he's not so much into it

nice- carry on- memories

Great story, special gun. AND it's ambidextrous ! Seems like it needs to be displayed over a mantle on its rest days as opposed to hiding in a safe.

Also nice to know a 2 1/2" shell will still bring in table fare. :)

Enjoy !

( 30" barrels? )

"( 30" barrels? )"

Yes sir.30" barrels

What a great story.
Onpoint save a few grouse for the rest of us.:thumbsup:

Great story of a fine ol gun....still working to bring home the game! Nice pics too.

BobM

Back