Got Some

pheasantaddict

Purchased some Praire Storm #4 and #5 at Scheels today for $17.99. Have a question about chokes, What are chokes that strip the wad or reduce muzzle pressure?

Purchased some Praire Storm #4 and #5 at Scheels today for $17.99. Have a question about chokes, What are chokes that strip the wad or reduce muzzle pressure?

Those are going to be after-market chokes for the most part, pattern master, dead ringer, strangler etc... and ported choke tubes are suppse to reduce muzzle pressure. I've never really seen a noticable difference, or at least not a big enough difference to convince me that I need to drop $50 on a ported choke tube.

Anyway, I'm sure you're askin this because the prarie storm says to not use these types of chokes? Prarie storm has the same flightcontrol wad that Black cloud uses, its suppose to keep your pattern fuller at varible distances. You will be just fine shooting this out of factory choke tubes. I'm sure sooner or later if they havent already companies will come out with choke tubes designed for Prarie storm when in all reality they probably don't differ to much from your factory chokes. Just another gimic to make some money on.

I will for one tell you I'm not buying into any of this crap, I've been killing pheasants for a long time at $8-10 a box. And I don't plan on changing!! :thumbsup:

PA, you have me confused, You spend $18 for a real good pheasant shell. Then you want to reduce its' effectiveness with a special choke. To me that don't make sense. Like Spence said 8-10 dollar a box shells kill just as good. I do it with regular 20 gauge one ounce of shot 1220 FPS loads..........Bob

Bob, I believe he was asking that because the box says NOT to use that kind of choke.

I may be wrong.

I see you are right, thank you for telling me I misread it again.........Bob

I like innovation and if the shells produce in the field I will keep buying and using. I like Federal's PF shell and Fiocchi Golden Pheasant. I'll let you know in a couple months how great they are so you guys can get some also.

Addict, I am looking forward to your report on a wonderful product for a non-existent problem.

Addict, I am looking forward to your report on a wonderful product for a non-existent problem.

haha thats pretty good. Honestly, I'd like to hear how they work. I did try the Black Cloud when it came out, just to see what if any difference there was. The only thing I noticed from Black Cloud was it tore up birds more than the Xperts I normally use. Other than that I had no use for them, I don't enjoy taking 60- 70 yrd shots on ducks or geese so I will stick with my cheap rounds.

i'm sure the prarie storm rounds will do the same, so make sure you let them get a little ways out... unless you want to go home with pheasant that looks like ground beef.

I used some Black Cloud shells this yr on ducks (because they were free). Only killed 5 or 6 birds but I had several cripples that I should have killed outright. The whole concept doesnâ??t make sense to me. Just looking at the pellets, Iâ??d expect the round shot to be in front of the pattern and the â??ringedâ?� shot to string out behind-not really conducive to clean kills.

If you don't mind spending some $ for a top quality shell, try the B&P MB-Long Range. They're very hard (5% antimony) nickle plated shot. I've taken the trouble to cut open several brands of shot shells a few yrs ago. I compared their hardness and uniformity of shot size/roundness & these shells came out on top. I've been shooting them exclusively in Spaniel field trials w/ very good results on long birds.

Pattern masters does now make chokes tubes for Black Cloud if your intrested, I have one that I have been shooting ducks for about 7 yrs. I haven't really notice any difference accuracy, but I got better knock down power at 40yds.

http://patternmaster.com/patternmaster-black-cloud-choke-tube/12ga-patternmaster-black-cloud-/

What do you guys think about Kent's Fast Lead ? being that I shoot Kent's steel shot for phesant in ILL's. control hunts, it has been awhile since I shot lead.

Last edited:
Not to be biased, I bought some #4 Kent's Fast Lead today. I will report at end of season. Man, I hope there's birds to test all these new shells on. Right now I have 10 boxes for pheasants, probably not enough to get me through the Iowa season. (I wish)

Maybe

addict. 10 boxes with an average of 2 shells per bird is a 125 bird season. Could happen, but you might need to make a couple trips to South Dakota.

I was thinking about shooting really good and average 1.25 shells per bird for a 200 bird season. Either I need a time machine to take me back to the early 90's or find some friends with land in SD.

Back